• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen course today

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Just thought I'd give some feedback from the mini course I took today.

Kevin at Earlswood is a really friendly guy, puts you at your ease and goes at the pace that suits you.

We started with some basic tool control, which for me was great and very useful, interesting to see how a couple of basic shapes provide the base for everything and anything which follows. I guess it's obvious for a lot of you, but it wasn't for me until I had it pointed out.

Suffice to say that 2 hours turned into three as I was enjoying myself immensely and Kevin didn't seem to be in a hurry to throw me out.

I now have a Sierra in Cocobolo which I'm really pleased with. It was finished using friction polish and wax polish which was a first for me.

I have to say I'm quite impressed with the finish that friction polish delivers, I guess the hardness of the cocobolo helps ?

I wasn't sure about the Sierra shape before today, but now I have made one and used it this afternoon, it's a nice shape and a good weight to write with, I'll be making some more for sure.

So, all in all a very enjoyable day, I have someone local for advice and help and best of all a nice pen !

Phill

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great to see you are enjoying the new found skills.

Once you are hooked you are in it for life.

Cocobolo is a really nice wood to start with, but be ware of the nasties that can come from the wood, it makes me sneeze if I don't wear my respirator..

Lets have a look at it when you get chance, so when you progress through you new found hobby just how much you improve.

If only in taking photos... :face:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I wouldn't be so presumptuous to try pass on tips in here, apart from the 2 pens I did on my own last weekend (based on youtube) this was the first "instruction" I've had in turning since I was at school ( that was a long long time ago ).

I think the thing I got most out of was the whole idea of tool control, which you can't get from videos, you have to be stood with someone and have them show how "not to" as well as the right way.

Maybe it's just in my nature to take my time with things, but the cocobolo seemed to "appreciate" fine cuts, but I guess that's probably true of all wood. I don't see the point in hurrying, after all I'm doing this for pleasure not piecework rates. Lovely wood to turn !

I was really surprised with the Mylands friction polish and how little it took to get a nice finish.

I will try and photo the pen tomorrow, but I'm having trouble getting decent pictures. Didn't realise I would have to buy a new camera as well :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Good to hear you enjoyed it Phill, also it is nice to hear you got the extra tuition, to me this shows you were learnt by a passionate turner .. :bwink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I will try and photo the pen tomorrow, but I'm having trouble getting decent pictures. Didn't realise I would have to buy a new camera as well :thinks:
Don't go out and buy a new camera, spend your hard earned dosh on your wood turning tools. If you do think of buying something for improving pictures buy a little light tent and lights, then you can use any camera and get better results.

My pictures are taken with an old fuji camera but I brought a nice light box and that changed everything.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Good to hear you enjoyed it Phill, also it is nice to hear you got the extra tuition, to me this shows you were learnt by a passionate turner .. :bwink:

For sure ! His Dad turned professionally for 30 odd years as well, it's in his genes I think and it shows.

Was good to hear someone say things like "forget all the gizmos, you only really need 3 or 4 tools and you can do almost anything". No bulls**t sales technique to sell stuff.

Just need my parcel from Aus to turn up soon and I can try do some of the blanks that someone kindly sent me some justice (hopefully).

I will need a new roughing gouge after today, as Dad's is too small I think. The 3/4" was nice to handle.

Don't tell SWMBO :funny:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
My pictures are taken with an old fuji camera but I brought a nice light box and that changed everything.

I had a lovely light box for taking pics for my online shops and sold it when I stopped doing my own pics, guess who is wishing he hadn't :whistling:

Ebay here we come

Jim

Grand Master
Didn't realise I would have to buy a new camera as well :thinks:

Phill, try taking your pictures in the garden, or anywhere outdoors, you will be surprised how this can transform your image ... :bwink:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Phil,
Good to hear you had a good day &

You don't need a light box. I use white card under & around the object to reflect light onto it, if you can bounce the flash of the camera onto the card rather than the object, it diffuses the flash light somewhat.
Natural daylight is best to photograph in & use the Macro function on the camera if you have the option.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
For sure ! His Dad turned professionally for 30 odd years as well, it's in his genes I think and it shows.

Was good to hear someone say things like "forget all the gizmos, you only really need 3 or 4 tools and you can do almost anything". No bulls**t sales technique to sell stuff.

Just need my parcel from Aus to turn up soon and I can try do some of the blanks that someone kindly sent me some justice (hopefully).

I will need a new roughing gouge after today, as Dad's is too small I think. The 3/4" was nice to handle.

Don't tell SWMBO :funny:

Only 4 tools!! take no notice Phill, you need a garage full plus a shed for the overspill. Trust me I know lol. Although he's right about the 3/4'' spindle gouge. This will do 90% of your pen work.

keith

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
If you have a good scanner, try using it for your pens. I was amazed at how well the picture turned out. This pen was just placed on the scanner with a piece of red fabric laid on top of it and scanned.

pen.jpg

Sharon

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Sharon yes your pic is acceptable but there is so much more to that pen of yours to appreciate. Daughter no 3 with us for a month from the US commented on the new 3D scanners in your country that build up a full image look forward to that one when you get it.

Kind regards Peter.
PS loved the descriptions of the clothesline and mothers advice you received I remembered that same advice from my Mum and Grandma given to my sister and me born in 1908 Mum and Grandma 1882.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).