• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Keeping Grain Pattern in Pens

twhditto

Registered
Hey all,

New to the forum. Been turning pens for several years now. I did not see a write up on it, so I thought I would post a trick I use, especially since I use Zebrawood for pens more often than most other woods. I want the grain to look right (when making a slimline especially), and stay as close as possible after the pen is turned between the two pieces. So, when I divide the original blank, I mark the halfway point with a WHITE OUT PEN (liquid paper pen available at most office supply stores and department stores) and then place an X (or if I am making several blanks at once, I use numbers or different letters) on either side of the cut mark in the middle of the blank, so that there will be two "X's" to show where the pen was cut. I use the liquid paper pen because it dries quickly, and does not rub off. That way when I cut the blanks, I do not turn the grain the wrong direction and put the two X's (or other letters) facing one another, and the grain will be fairly consistent. I also find that when I have some exotic woods, that the liquid paper pen is an easy way to write the kind of wood it is on the blank and it show up. Hope this helps others.
Tom from Arkansas

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Tom, and a thank you for adding your tip, we have and get new pen turners here which this tip will help them tremendously .... :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Tom, I was just wondering what might be good to use for marking blanks! Carpenters pencil has been my standby for years, but in darker wood it doesn't show up so well ( nothing to do with my eyesight going, I'm sure!) so I will defo grab a bottle of whiteout.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).