• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood Turners Finish

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
A lot of people on here seem to be drifting to CA finish. Does anybody use WTF (the jokes have been done before) by General Finishes. If so how do you find it?

keith

naxie

Registered
I haven't had much time to turn anything lately, but yesterday I turned a pen and experimented with the CA finish. I got it absolutely spot on (well in my eyes) and then on assembly noticed a small bit on the end had lifted and came off.

I would like to try something else as I hate the fumes generated from CA. I keep meaning to try some Chestnut spray lacquer al la Steven, which he seems to have great success with. I do like the look of WTF though, watching the YouTube videos from their site.

I have a tin of polyurethane varnish from tool station which I might have a go at with an airbrush. Has anyone tried anything similar?:thinks:

I too would like to here of anybody's experience with WTF, good or bad.:thumbs::down:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I have a tin of polyurethane varnish from tool station which I might have a go at with an airbrush. Has anyone tried anything similar?
Dip it don't spray it cellulose is quick drying and lends itself t being sprayed happily. oi based polyurethane takes forever to dry and is not forgiving.
Hang the blank with bunged ends and dip it will give excellent results.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Thanks George, I'll give it a go and let you know.:thumbs:

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the result. i tried it in the limited space I have.
I didn't want to leave the whole tin exposed in case I knocked it over or it got contaminated with biscuit crumbs or worse.
I filled an old sterident tube with varnish and from my housewife used a bit of thread with a knot through the tube and bunged the ends with blue tack.
Tied it to a coat hanger and strategically placed it in a clapboard over some newspaper, slide the sterident tube up the blank and back down again to let it drip back in.
Left overnight to dry and repeated the process again the following night.
I hope you are successful with your trials keep us posted.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I use WTF on other things, but it doesn't seem to stand up well to constant use on pens. The acid and oil from your hands seems to attack it. For pens that were just going to be displayed it would be OK, but if you are going to use it every day, it doesn't hold up.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
then on assembly noticed a small bit on the end had lifted and came off.

.:thumbs::down:

This is caused by the CA sticking to the bushings and breaking off when you remove the bushings. There are a couple of solutions. You can take a sharp knife or razor blade and cut next to the bushings after turning and before removing the bushings. The best solution, though is to use the cone finishing bushings. The glue doesn't stick to them like it does to the steel.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
This is caused by the CA sticking to the bushings and breaking off when you remove the bushings. There are a couple of solutions. You can take a sharp knife or razor blade and cut next to the bushings after turning and before removing the bushings. The best solution, though is to use the cone finishing bushings. The glue doesn't stick to them like it does to the steel.

That is an interesting point Sharon. Thanks for posting!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).