• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A batch of blanks part 1

Chilprufe

Registered
First Name
David
Dig out the silicone molds ... I'm in a new house 3 months ago, finding the molds took a bit of time

007.jpg

Put the molds in the oven 50c

008.jpg

Pick colours I'm going to use ... first batch Titanium and shimmer Green

009.jpg

I'll put pix up after the resin sits for a while to de-gas and pour the blanks and of the second batch

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
come on, come on, I want to have a go and the next match starts in an hour :funny:

Chilprufe

Registered
First Name
David
A Batch of Blanks Part 3

Titanium and shimmer green out of mold, Ruby and royal blue mixed 375ml resin and 4.5ml mek

013.jpg

Next batch poured in the same way as green and titanium

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

A little to much mek used in the first batch, Chemical reaction overheated and a large crack apeared, pos side it cracked in line of where i will be cutting then into blanks so will only loose 1 blank

Jim

Grand Master
Some excellent results David, now we need to see them on the pen .. :winking:

All 3 threads now merged so we can follow the story line much easier .. :thumbs:

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Its still a bit cold in my shed for making blanks a lot of little air bubble ... need a bigger pressure pot to fit my molds in

Thanks for showing David. I saw a tip on the IAP where one guy has made a wooden box that he has attached a palm sander to - puts the moulds into the box and flicks the sander on for 10 minutes. Kills the bubbles. Box is big enough to act as a damper but still allows enough vibration through

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks David you need longer stirring sticks or rather I would be up to my wrist in gunk real quick thats a lot of of great looking blanks mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks for posting, it's very interesting. I'm determined to have a go one day.

One question though. Apart from the obvious satisfaction of your own unique creation, are they economical compared with the cost of off the shelf blanks?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).