• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bolt Action Timberbits v PSI

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I know that Walter has started a discussion on this issue but I have started a new thread as it had become slightly diluted over the legal issues. I have turned and sold around thirty of the Timberbits pens and previously sold over fifty of the PSI variety.

The differences are two fold, firstly the finishes, PSI gold chrome, gun metal and black lacquer, Timberbits Gold and chrome with Gun metal due in a couple of months. I find that the gun metal from psi was the better seller as a choice of finish, and since restricting myself to the TB pen, the chrome outsells the gold easily.

The second issue is the workmanship. PSI kits are excellent, TB are good. There is a difference! The TB Bolt action slides, as does the PSI kit and then returns around a corner and is pushed back up towards the top of the pen by the pressure of the spring. The corner of the metal on the tB kit is very sharp. Also the copper bullet head has a couple of decorative rings on it on both pens, the TB variety is a little sharp.

On both pens I have found it necessary on occasion to undo the bolt action and apply a little ca gel to lock the bolt action in position as sometimes it points in the wrong direction. The mechanism is good on both but I have had a couple of instances on the TB kit where the mechanism makes a graunching sound as it is operated. A few repeated operations of the nib seems to alleviate the problem suggesting that there is a small amount of metallic debris left somewhere in the kit.

All in al the TB kit is good but not quite as refined as the pSi kit, but then it is half the price and well worth the difference.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Neil, it is clear that you have not taken sides here just a clean and honest review ... :thumbs:

I am sure Timberbits have done their homework regarding copyright, so i expect their kits to be around for a long time to come ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).