• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Very productive weekend. (and yes, some more bullet pens....)

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hello my friends,
my employer, asked me to turn some pen to put on display in the store, and since we are a gun and gunsmithing store, you can guess what was my choice :funny: :
DSC07062.jpg
DSC07061.jpg
The timber is Zebrano, Walnut and Mahogany and the finish is 2 coats of linseed oil, shellac, and then carnauba wax.
This time, since my drill bits are bit larger for the barrel tubes from the kits, i used PU glue to be on the safe side and glued all 6 kits yesterday.
Early this morning i turned all six barrels, sanded to 600 and applied 2 coats of lineseed oil and i put all the barrels in a little warm box i created some years ago.
Just before lunch, they were already dry, so I applied several coats of shellac and put all back in the warm box, then after a couple of hours I finally finished it with carnauba wax and assebled the lot.
This was a very busy weekend, but I managed to turn a fountain pen in acrylic as well and I will post it in the acrylic section.
Really hope this lot will sell fast, so I can turn some more :-)

till next time
-Francesco

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
if the "reddish" one is mahogany ...I want some :banana::banana:

fantastic grain pattern

Steve

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
if the "reddish" one is mahogany ...I want some :banana::banana:

fantastic grain pattern

Steve
Steve, this timber is really amazing.
Its a nice heartwood piece that I reclaimed from the keel of a '800 mahogany boat that was beyond repair.
The original piece was 10x 10 cm but the outer part was terrible. I gave it to a woodworker and he planed it to 5x5 cm and using steam he straigtened the bent part of the keel.
After he saw what it was inside, he asked to be paid with half the wood instead of money :funny:. I gladly accepted the deal.
I have some 15x15x130 mm left, if you want, i dont mind mailing a couple to you, just give me a adress :-)

Cheers
Francesco

Jim

Grand Master
All great looking pens Francesco, and all should sell my friend .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Francesco and you even made a magazine type stand to display them :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Francesco like the opportunity offrered to you you will be there for any further details to take orders as well Love those pens in a Gunsmith Shop.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
Timbers look great from here.
As a gun and gunsmith store surprised you haven't turned the bolt handle to get the bolt action to work like a real rifle bolt.

Les

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Timbers look great from here.
As a gun and gunsmith store surprised you haven't turned the bolt handle to get the bolt action to work like a real rifle bolt.

Les
Of course, the first thing i said was: "The bolt handle is reversed....", but if you hold the pen in your right hand, its more natural to have it reversed.
All it need is to loosen a litte screw inside, and you can turn it the way you want:thumbs:

Francesco

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
I am still not convinced by the kit, although I am sure some people love it. The woods are lovely though!

Mate, to be honest, though I'm a gunsmith, I really don't like bullet shaped pens, but our customers literally loves this kind of stuff, so thats because we chose these kits. :funny:
I'm waiting for some decent pen box to come in the mail. I already bought some made by Artisan, but there is "MADE IN CHINA" stamped on the bottom.... so my employer said: "Try to convince the buyer that is only the box made in china and not the entire pen and I will raise your paycheck". That won't happen anytime soon :nonono:
Cheers
-Francesco

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).