• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit different?

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Good morning all,

My son (5) is mad for Lego, and since my pen turning hobby began, he's been fascinated and asked me to make him one, so I had a go at incorporating Lego into a pen, with the following result.....

2013-07-07 13.30.36-1 - Copy.jpg 2013-07-07 13.30.25-1 - Copy.jpg

The Lego blocks are CA glued together and sanded to remove the sharp corners (those of you who have every stepped on a piece barefoot will know how sharp they are) and then drilled at 7mm to accept a brass tube to fit over the bottom half of a slimline twist kit.

I didn't drill all the way through (obviously) as I added a Lego 'clip' CA glued at the top.

The bottom half is a piece of holly I had lying around.

Although this was a bit of fun, and my son did like it (although I do have to 'replace' the Lego I pinched to make the pen) but I'm not overly thrilled at the 'look' of the pen, and I'd love to get some input/ideas as to how it could be improved or how I could incorporate Lego into a pen again?

Thoughts/ideas/criticisms/pi$$ taking:face: welcomed!

Gav

naxie

Registered
I think that's a great idea Gav! My son is also Lego mad (6), so I'll watch your progress with great interest.

Maybe Peter will stop by with an idea, he seems to have made a pen out of just about everything :thumbs:

Now if we could somehow combine it with a ninja turtle I think we would be on to a winner with my son too! :funny:
That's him in my avatar picture by the way, sanding a spinning top with the class teddy that they take it in turns to look after.

Jim

Grand Master
The pen looks good Gav, but i see why you need to make some alterations to it ... :bwink: What about sanding the lego down even more and then cast them in some resin to turn round??? :thinks:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well you absolute rotter Gav !

I now have to work out how the heck to do this for the legomaniac at our house, (youngest son 9).

How easy / hard was it to drill and tube ?

You can get the circle blocks with 4 studs on the top, might be a bit too big diameter though ?

Just a thought

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Personally Gav I'd leave it as it is. It looks brilliant and if you amend it too much it'll go away from the lego look.

keith

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Well you absolute rotter Gav !

I now have to work out how the heck to do this for the legomaniac at our house, (youngest son 9).

How easy / hard was it to drill and tube ?

You can get the circle blocks with 4 studs on the top, might be a bit too big diameter though ?

Just a thought

To drill and tube was very easy, I basically filled each block with CA, then stuck the next one to it, so it ended up quite solid, thought about turning it down, but not sure how that volume of CA would react, or how brittle the blocks would be, maybe that's the next experiment!

I've been trawling the Lego 'Buy a Block' site, and have found a couple of shapes and sizes that may suit, so I'll be having another go.

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated!

Gav

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Gav, that was the bit that was confusing me, filling the block with CA.

I may try this and use one of the Star Wars figures heads for the "top" of the pen, as a something a bit different. Maybe a light sabre for a clip.

Youngest is Lego Star Wars mad if you didn't guess

joe

Apprentice Member
Gav; You have peaked my interest in a Lego pen. I have a few that have been here a long time

Joe

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).