• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drill bits - Where / Which to buy ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
OK, so in my excitement I've ordered kits from TB, then just realised I don't have the drill bits for them :whistling:

Seemingly I need

9.5 mm
10 mm
11.9 mm

So where's the best place to get mail order and what "type / make" of drill would you recommend.

Cheers
Phill

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I use drill service if you call them and tell them the size and what u want them for they will have the right one it were I get my from

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
OK, so in my excitement I've ordered kits from TB, then just realised I don't have the drill bits for them :whistling:

Seemingly I need

9.5 mm
10 mm
11.9 mm

So where's the best place to get mail order and what "type / make" of drill would you recommend.

Cheers
Phill
Phil,

9.5mm is a 3/8 from memory, the 10mm could be for a cigar, but I can't remember what the 11.9mm drill is for. The reality is that with the exception of 7, 8, and 10mm tubes the remainder are normally imperial. You won't be able to get, nor do you need a 11.9mm drill!

A 10.5mm drill normally translates into a 25/64 and a 12.5mm normally quoted for a jr gents or baron or similar is actually a 15/32. I use ukdrillbits.com but there are similar around, the most difficult to get hold of is the 37/64 For a charirmans pen but they can be found on eBay amongst others, ukdrillbits.com for the rest.

Let us know what the kits are that you have bought

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Phil, I bought this set from Screwfix, which covers everything up to 13mm (I use a 12mm for the 11.9 and I don't notice the difference) is v sharp and tends not to wander too much. The 14.5 mm for the Statesman/gents/Chairman's is too tight - I've ruined more tubes than I care to remember. I eventually got a 15mm and now get a snug fit with little play.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Phill I have used quality engineering drill bits occasionally and they are fine. Just drill slowly and keep withdrawing the bit to clear the flutes as they clog up a bit quicker.
The 11.9 mm bit is I assume for the Jr Gents in which case I use the 12mm bit and you won't know the difference!!!!

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Phill I have used quality engineering drill bits occasionally and they are fine. Just drill slowly and keep withdrawing the bit to clear the flutes as they clog up a bit quicker.
The 11.9 mm bit is I assume for the Jr Gents in which case I use the 12mm bit and you won't know the difference!!!!

I did wonder just how much difference that 0.1mm would make, apart from the price of course :funny:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks all for the pointers, looks like I can go with reasonably priced drills, nothing too fancy.

Cleared up the odd size thing like 11.9 as well which was making me wonder.

Will go with pilot holes whilst I'm drilling on the lathe and take my time building up.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
This s a great chart of drill bit sizes..I printed it out, and pinned it to the wall

Here is a great little chart of all the bit sizes in metric and fractions.

inch/mm CONVERSION CHART

The 11.9 is the US 15/32 size bit. 12mm is the metric equivalent.

Sharon

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).