• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finally, a pen! (Turner pops his Cherry)

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
Finally got hold of a drill bit to make the pen today.

This was the first I've made and I've tried to be a bit experimental with the style. I chose Cherry wood, tried finishing with CA (superglue) but we didn't get on too well, took it off and just used carnauba wax. In my excitement I forgot to line the grain pattern up but more importantly I'm out of the blocks and I've learned a lot from it.

Attachments

• CherryOmega1.jpg
    CherryOmega1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 64
  • CherryOmega2.jpg
    CherryOmega2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 64
  • CherryOmega3.jpg
    CherryOmega3.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 64

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
well as a first attempt

it appears well turned
great for persevering with finish

as u know it is fat :goesred:
but doesnt detract from the turning skill
that wood is stunning

please keep this pen ...forever...always keep the first one as is something to look back at

i really like the shape on the cap end
how does it feel making your first of many ?
:thumbs:

Steve

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Thats a good first effort Jimi :thumbs: I didn't try anything with CA for more than 5 months & I still don't like using it :thinks:

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
Cheers Steve, yes, I deliberately went fat as I haven't seen many Omegas done that way and I've always wanted a fat fountain pen!

It was done between centres with a vernier and I'm quite pleased with the Cherry too, it was from TR.

Cheers Billy, yes the CA would go on evenly at all, ended up stripy, then I got a bit of tissue stuck to it.

Like most first times it was an awkward fumble in the dark but I will keep hold of it, I'll take it to work with me.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Well that is a great first one mate, ok so it is a bit chubby, some like em like that and the wood is nice! :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Well it is a good first effort Jimi, and as Steve says, keep this one because your style will change several times before you become content with your own preferred shape .. But this is the one you will always look back at .. :thumbs: The CA finish will come with time .. Well done my friend .. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Woooh Hoooo away ya go now init?
It's a great feeling to achieve your first, Congratulations.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
The point is you did it your way, and that is how it should be. I quite like the shape, and it is very well turned for a first attempt.
You are not alone struggling with CA, it does seem a bit of a black art. Woody will not doubt be along soon and tell you to stick with polish, and I have some sympathy with that. On the other hand one does not like to be defeated! Allen

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jimi thats a substantial pen alright you can see the timber clearly felt for your finishing dilemma, drama in the oh bugger dept with CA (join the club mate) overcoming adversity. It must have been fat before you turned the CA off of it.

Clear pics intricate grain another design man you are a pathfinder and with the courage of your convictions use it proudly mate. Thanks for showing.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The first of many to come Jimi, well done. You were very brave to even attempt ca on your first go but don't let it put you off forever, make a few pens your'e happy with and then have a go at all the finishes before deciding on the one for you. There will certainly be lots of help on here when you want to be coaxed through a specific finish. :thumbs:

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
The missus is going to show it at work, she works on a reception, hopefully will get lots of feedback on it. I think the camera adds a few pounds to the pen but appreciate all the comments all the same. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).