• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Faceplate chuck

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I often need a chuck that is a strange or nondescript size and end up using a different lathe instead of switching chucks as the norm.
I got to thinking that I have two spare chucks in the drawer that fit the metal lathe but don't fit the wood lathe.
Lighting strike moment, why the hell not mount the chuck on a faceplate init?
Ear yar, my three reversible jaw chuck from the drawer sitting pretty on a faceplate init?
I wouldn't go mad with it or use it without tailstock as it's too heavy for my 1MT spindle on its own but for those who have larger spindle this could work well.
Another alternative and a solution to many problems, hope it works for you init?
P1090546.jpg

P1090547.jpg

P1090548.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Like it Brian I had a spare small chuck for the Hercus a three jaw and used a converter with the Hercus thread into the chuck screwed onto the lathe shaft so I could revert at any time. The only thing to watch is opening the jaws too far nasty whack on the knuckles.

Very handy idea.

Peter.:thumbs:

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Adapt and reuse, makes sense. In the Woodturning mags that GeordieB kindly gave me, There are sections from Kurt Hertzog on making your own chucks etc. Like most of you I have made chucks for turning apples, pears etc, and I don't use a pen vice to build up the kits, I have a square cut off an old plastic chopping board held in a chuck and use a suitable head in the multi change tailstock centre to press kits together.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).