• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finally found time to turn an omega

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Been so busy with other things, I've so far not had the time to make an omega, even though I've had the kits for a while. This one is turned from a whisky cask and finished with melamine and carnauba.
(any similarity with Terry's recent photo is purely coincidental)

cfoga-b-full-cropped.jpg

cfoga-a-full.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely looking pen Phil, is a specific whisky or generic whisky barrel?

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
fantastic finish

the omega is so versatile

that black glass really works

Steve

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thanks everybody. I rarely show my pens here, so your kind comments are really appreciated.

As far as the photo is concerned, there's quite a saga attached to that. Briefly though, I have quite a large set-up for product shots, and I generally use Calumet backgrounds with a varying array of lighting, which I might post in a separate thread if anyone might be interested. But having had a fantastically helpful chat with that master Vic Perrin, these ones were taken in a light tent, using a new camera bought specially for the purpose, and I must say I'm delighted with the results.

And my thanks to Vic for his generous help, and for giving me the confidence to go back to a light tent and reassuring me that a camera doesn't need to cost the same as the national debt of a small third world country. The fact that Terry and I have both posted black glass (actually mine is perspex) on the same day is purely coincidental.

As far as the pen is concerned, I agree with comments here - yes its a beautifully versatile kit from the point of view of freedom of design. I confess I took my lead from some of the masters on this forum who have already amassed a wealth of experience in making them.

Thanks again for your comments guys.

Jim

Grand Master
Its been worth the wait Phil, very nice pen indeed .. Nice image to my friend .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).