• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The result from the decking plank

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hello my friends,
yesterday, I spent half day sorting woods and cutting blanks on the tablesaw:
IMG_0922.jpg
From the left: Zebrano, X-cut zebrano (wich i'm really proud), the decking plank wood, wenge, Italian oak, mahogany hearthwood (I left some really long blank in order to save wood), Italian walnut, Italian oak long blanks and Bamboo cutting board. Have some olivewood, peach an maple planks to be cut, but they're still green, so I'll wait till July to cut blanks from 'em. The one between the clamps is a zebrano blank that required some "surgery" (in fact it was split exactly in 2 parts and some PU glue took care of the accident :funny:).
But this is not the real subject of this post.
Do you remeber the post where i asked help to identify a piece of decking timber?
This is the result:
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
To be really onest, I dont like this timber, because is boring.
It was a really easy and fast turning, it needed almost no finishing effort and took a shine from only carnauba wax, but it's plain.
I turned it because I worked my bottom off almost all day and I had to turn something for reward :face:
I'm often proud of my wood salvaging, but this time, I'm not sure...

Cheers
-Francesco

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning mate you are enjoying yourself mate like your pen noticed the gun is aimed at you I like the gun facing down on the clip forever with my shotgun it makes me nervous always broke the gun facing down does that. Plain or boring wins the race when used in laminating.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Morning mate you are enjoying yourself mate like your pen noticed the gun is aimed at you I like the gun facing down on the clip forever with my shotgun it makes me nervous always broke the gun facing down does that. Plain or boring wins the race when used in laminating.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Peter, as you already know, I'm a professional gunsmith.
Very often, I have to do cast and drop tuning on shotgun stocks and the only right way to do it, is making the customer aim at you between your eyes and look if the aiming eye is in line with the rib and the front sight.
When I started my craft I was somewhat scared to be aimed in the face, but after many years, it's common sense for me. Of course I double check if the shotgun is unloaded :-)
Cheers
-Francesco

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
I would get an assistant and have the gun aimed at them. :wink:

A fantastic collection there Francesco, they will be sure to keep you busy. I see what you mean about the wood, but it has an understated quality, it will always be better than plastic!

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
nothing wrong with that blank

the pen and turning is spot on
does not always have to be spalted or highly figured
Steve

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It might be plain but I like it and so will the final owner of it Francesco. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).