• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another slimline in acrylic

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Quite easily Jim. Just kept taking fine cuts. It takes a while longer to get the blank down to size due to a build up of shavings spinning around the blank . I started with a spindle gouge and finished with a skew.

Jim

Grand Master
On this colour i have found that it isn't necessary to paint the tubes Neil, as it is rather dense ...

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
On this colour i have found that it isn't necessary to paint the tubes Neil, as it is rather dense ...

Jim,

I phrased my question cautiously as I don't know Terry or his experience but mainly because I didn't know whether the lines I can see along the blank are the tube or a lighting reflection from the photography. However, I find that whether you can physically see the tube or not, painting the tube deepens the colour of the acrylic, I do it as a matter of course. I wondered whether it would open up a debate on who paints what with what, I know some use a Q tip to paint the inside of the blank (which I think is a waste of time), as well as paint the tubes, and what do you paint the tubes with.

I use Halfords primer spray on the basis that it designed to be overcoated, adhere to metal, dries quickly and doesn't react with epoxy.

Jim

Grand Master
Neil, i have not yet needed to paint the inside of a tube, but in the future i am sure that it will be needed so you have a good point on starting a discussion on the subject ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).