• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My 1st Omega fp, dressed in Wenge

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hello my friends,
received a small batch of pens from Dan and started to turn some.
I opened the drawer where I store my blanks and picked one witout looking.
I picked up a good Wenge blank:
DSC07066.jpg
DSC07067.jpg
I confirmed something today: I'm in love with this kit.
The finish is CA glue only, but when I took out the bushings a little chip of it came out from the end:vangry::vangry:..... It still look good in my collection:face:
I managed to turn also one in acrylic and it will be posted in the proper section.

Cheers
-Francesco

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Nice one there Francesco - I like the grain in wenge but don't get a splinter, it will knock you on your back!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A classic fine furniture guy I had dealings with over a period of time had large quantities of Wenge I found it mesmerising in railings tables furniture made for large buildings in our city.I can imagine your excitement at picking up a blank of this timber its hard takes a glorious finish is so deep in colour I despair in taking pics of it, so I imagine your pen holds this promise for you. Thank you for sharing Francesco.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Nice piece of wood and turning. Personally I prefer more contrast between the timber and the kit finish but that is just a matter of taste. Allen

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Nice match between timber a plating.
Looks like there are a lot of radial sanding rings either in the timber or the CA?

Les
No mate, it was some trace of wax that i didn't see before the photo :whistling:
I use a microfiber polishing cloth to spread some hi luster wax on the ca finish, but is usefull only for the photo shot and dont last very much. I simply used too much and it left some streaks.
Cheers
-Francesco

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).