• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Yunstone Pen

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
After being inspired by Woody's Yunstone pens last month I felt I just had to have a go. Ordered some blanks off Phil (Beaufort Inks, great service thanks) and they arrived today. Turned this one straight away as I couldn't wait. They're quite a bit harder to turn than say acrylic and 'patience' is the name of the game. Try and rush it and they are easily chipped. Carbide tools are a must as you'd be forever sharpening HSS tools.
After what seemed an age it was finally ready to assemble. That's when it went wrong. the nib section cocked over slightly whilst being pressed in and I heard that little 'click' that told me I'd cracked it, literally. It's not too bad but the pen needs to be stripped, super thin CA applied and re-polished. Ah well, all in a day's work!

Yunstone.jpg

johnny5

Registered
lovely looking pen Dave,
I have had the dreaded crack whilst assembling before :sob::sob:
What i find is these blanks need a more substantive pen that does not need to be turned so thinly, this avoids the cracks,
mainly PSI pens i have found , anyone else know of any pens where the diameter of the finished pen is not as thin as say the streamline near the nib end ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice Dave well done is thet the first stone pen you have turned if so well done mate that is the only thing with stone blanks everything has to be spot on I found the Omega was the easiest kit to use with them

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a lovely looking pen Dave, you've turned it well and its a shame about the slight crack and hopefully easily fixed.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
I forgot to add that I'm asthmatic and I wish I'd worn a mask and had my extract on as there's a lot of dust made. I'm suffering now because I didn't. Another lesson learned!:sob::sob:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
shame about crack

i blew one up yesterday...drill bit snagged ...i was lazy and never cleared the bit enough
lesson learnt ...until i do it again :rolling:

Steve

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Dave its better to have tried and lost than wondering, even with all my pens I check the fit especially at the nib end problem with cracks thats only the start and what you can see better to buy spare brasses and do it a fresh blank.I ream every finished blank sounds tedious but felt for you as you assembled. The pen looks great thats why I show views all round no surprises.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looking good. . Glad I read this before I tried spinning one.. will wait for the carbide tips to arrive..

Jim

Grand Master
A good looking pen Dave, yep, that crack sound seems very loud at the time when it happens .. Well to me it does .. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).