• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbon fibre and Oak Burr pens

mervyn cadman

Hi all these are two I made a a while ago a Rhodium Statesman with Burr Oak and the other A Harvest in Rhodium plating from David (Timberbits) this one is made with Carbon Fibre that I cast in clear PR resin.

The blanks on the Statesman had to stabilized with several coats of CA as the cracks and shakes where quite open and unstable.

Picture is slightly off guys... sorry about that

Merv

naxie

Registered
They look lovely Merv, I don't think I would risk messing up such a nice kit yet though, its bad enough on a slimline!

The burr is beautiful, I would never have guessed at the state of the blank looking at the finished article.
The carbon fibre looks very interesting, my cousin has a company dealing with carbon fibre and all sorts of laminates, XWorks Composites and Vehicle Engineering, I might have to ask about offcuts!

I wonder if he uses any interesting resins that I could try for casting :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Merv,

Oak is a tough material at best full of mystery and surprises you did well, most of my blanks in Oak have been American Oak in some areas there it was plentiful even at the huge dump where old pallets were thrown. I recall my first swap on another US site was a pen to me made from Oak, I was and remain totally impressed by it in a Cigar Pen.

Carbon Fibre is really black and like the little black number the wife always kept is simply impressive.

Your two pens worth the hassles however I really pick through my blanks and with Burl tend to put aside the holy gapped ones but thats probably an age thing for me.

Kind regards Peter.

mervyn cadman

David no I did not paint the tubes on the Oak pen.

Thanks guys for your comments, I did forget to mention the Micro-Mesh - here's what I done on the oak, stated sanding with a 240g - 320g 400g 600g 800g
1500 micro mesh and I think it’s the 1800 grit then this was after the cracks and holes where filled in with CA and sometimes a bit of dust from the turning then the sanding process and then the CA finish cutting back slightly between CA applications 5 in total... then the burnishing cream was used.

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice looking pens Merv, these are certainly for the executives out there ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).