• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Non Toxic Alternative for Casting Blanks

pandora45

Apprentice Member
First Name
vilma
Hi guys.
It's an honour to be a part of pen turning community. I have just gained an interest in pen turning,bought few tools,few materials and turned few more or less successful items.
Just recently stumbled on an idea if there is an alternative to casting acrylic quality ish blanks which wouldn't be toxic? As I'm a pen chewer (blush) though acrylic probably doesn't do me good.. Can't seem to find any to buy either..Maybe I'm missing something?
Would be great if fellow turners could help or know the answer to my issue ;)

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I am fairly sure that the cured resin ie the blanks are not toxic although I don't think they are particularly good for you if you are going to eat them, they certainly don't count as one of your 5 a day :whistling::whistling:

pandora45

Apprentice Member
First Name
vilma
Welcome to the forum Vilma.

I cant help you with the casting resin, I not sure but I think that cactus juice from seppoland is non-toxic.

Really?! Anyone visiting seppoland any time soon and would be willing to smuggle in some cactus juice for me? Lol

pandora45

Apprentice Member
First Name
vilma
I am fairly sure that the cured resin ie the blanks are not toxic although I don't think they are particularly good for you if you are going to eat them, they certainly don't count as one of your 5 a day :whistling::whistling:
Yeah,I had a feeling that they not as good as apples.. Doesn't taste as nice either... I know for fact once set acrylic isn't toxic, but just wondered maybe Alumilite is better alternative? It's all very new for me so just trying to explore the options.. Healthier ish the better ;)

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Vilma.. :thumbs: I can't help with your question but i can recommend Wriggleys .. I know, i'll get me coat .. :gone:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum... dip the end of the pen in dog doins, that'll stop you chewin it :thumbs:

pandora45

Apprentice Member
First Name
vilma
You guys are quite a bunch... I think I'll like it here :) I'm starting to realize that there is no such thing as healthy to consume resin lol :thinks: perhaps should try turning a carrot...

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
You guys are quite a bunch... I think I'll like it here :) I'm starting to realize that there is no such thing as healthy to consume resin lol :thinks: perhaps should try turning a carrot...

Now theres a thought turning pens from edible items and then rcharging for a new blank each time:whistling::whistling::whistling:

By the way welcome come on in and join the lunacy of this forum most are a friendly bunch but the rest are just totally mad:devil:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
they certainly don't count as one of your 5 a day :whistling::whistling:

They count as roughage though:thumbs:
Welcome to the forum Vilma. Wish I could encourage my pen customers to chew their pens. Pretty good for repeat business I'd imagine.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
Welcome
you could try a cup of warm milk add a tablespoon of white vinegar then collect the white lumps. Remove as much moisture as possible shape into a blank removing as much air as possible then place somewhere warm for a few weeks to dry. It will have become a cream coloured hard type plastic. I have been trying experiments with it making pen blanks but was too impatient and it hadn't dried all the way through so I bugg**ed that batch right up.
Milk and vinegar that can't be toxic can it ?
:thinks::thinks::thinks:

pandora45

Apprentice Member
First Name
vilma
Ok guys.. I got the idea of the non toxic consumable acrylics lol

I have a bit more serious matter.. Does anyone could advice me on polishing acrylic pen blanks? I'm currently using micro mesh and it's boring as it takes such a long time. Could I use buffing wheals to get a mirror finish?
Has anyone tried it? Or maybe easier ways of polishing?

Jim

Grand Master
You could use a buffing system after using the micro-mesh Vilma, i doubt that you would get the same finish without the micro-mesh .. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).