• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pressure Pot

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I am going to get the gear together to have a bash at casting. I think that I am going to try Aluminite first.

Anyone know where you can get a Pressure Pot from at a reasonable price and what size should I be looking for.

I wont be doing the casting on a large scale just one or two now and then for my own use.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I wont be doing the casting on a large scale just one or two now and then for my own use.

Then don't buy a pressure pot, just put it on the wife's washing machine and vibrate the bubbles out.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I wouldn't have said to if it don't init?
Aluminite is a slower setting resin and a good one to start with, yes vibration will get the bubbles up and out with plenty of time to spare

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Will that work Brian ?

:duh:Vic:duh:

It depends which type of Alumilite you are going to use, if you are going to use the clear slow setting stuff then you may get away without presssure, but I seriously doubt you will manage bubble free casts by putting it on a washing machine, Alumilite needs pressure more so than Polyester resin.

Peter

I do have a pressure pot for sale, I am just trying to seal one of the ports that has a slight leak, but it is a big pot and I suspect you don't want one that big.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
From what I've read on here Vic. Although Alumilite is expensive, it take longer to set (24hrs) so the bubbles have longer to rise and vibration helps. So no need for a pressure pot. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
From what I've read on here Vic. Although Alumilite is expensive, it take longer to set (24hrs) so the bubbles have longer to rise and vibration helps. So no need for a pressure pot. :thumbs:

Chas I think you may have misread, have a look at the data sheets for the different Alumilites, even the slow setting one has a pot life of about 45 minutes then it starts to set, once it starts to set bubbles are not going to be able to rise to the surface and get trapped inside. You may be extremely lucky and not have may bubbles to start with.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am going to get the gear together to have a bash at casting. I think that I am going to try Aluminite first.

Anyone know where you can get a Pressure Pot from at a reasonable price and what size should I be looking for.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Sounds like when I first turned a pen said something like that its like measles mate all over you like a rash.

Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Object lesson lesson wife not aware drops washing in machine start of a situation I keep out of by working in the shed. Its called self preservation. Holy ground and all that.

Peter.:thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Go for it Vic. :thumbs: I have done my first cast and it was OK.
I am waiting for better weather, its still a bit cold here, I hope the stuff will still work :nooidea:
I don't use a pressure pot. I find there is enough vibration from the bandsaw to lift the bubbles, but I have bought the Utra Sonic cleaner from Aldi to do the job.

Last edited:

Jim

Grand Master
I have never used Aluminite Vic, but can say with PR i have both used the pressure pot and made some without both with good results .. But you need warm temps for good results my friend .. :thumbs:

Out of interest can you say where you are getting the Aluminite from Vic ..

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I have never used Aluminite Vic, but can say with PR i have both used the pressure pot and made some without both with good results .. But you need warm temps for good results my friend .. :thumbs:

Out of interest can you say where you are getting the Aluminite from Vic ..

I don't know yet Jim there are one or two places that I have seen on the Internet but it's early days yet. I have watched loads of videos and not yet decided on exactly what gear that I am going to get. If anyone knows an Aluminite supplier I am all ears.

:idontknow:Vic:idontknow:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I got mine from here ( Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast Resin 16oz - Metal Clay Ltd ) and it you use the resin saver moulds you don't need a lot per pen. I think that because it has such a long time to go off it would be possible to use the washing machine as Brian says but I have a pot so can't really say... Try it and then you'll know for sure. :thumbs:

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
i have poured 5 lots of castings now with alumilite slow settings and haven't had any trouble with air bubbles i just make sure i pour it slowly from one end of the mould.
Also because it is so slow setting you can take your time with mixing slowly so as you don't cause bubbles .

With care you can get away without a pressure pot

here you go Resin Model Moulding Casting Tank 10Litre

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).