• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Aluminium cigar

Bluefoxy

Now that the Great Woody has joined this forum I recall when he schooled me in making a pen in aluminium. Looked very difficult but following his instructions it was quite easy. Sorry about the naf photo:

Ray

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done mate you have made a blooming good job of that one go to the top of the class LOL

Bluefoxy

Very nice! Wanna share the secret with us mere mortals?

:thumbs:

Fairly straightforward really. I started with a 15mm aluminium rod cut to size. Drilled initially with a centre drill and then with 10mm drill bit. Tube inserted and glued in with araldite. Ends squared up on a sander. Turned between centres using a 12mm scraper with very frequent sharpening (I used a round nose scraper). Final cuts taken with a 12mm negative rake scraper to give a fairly smooth finish. Sanded with 800 and then 1200 wet and dry used wet and finally finished with brown and then pink metal polishing compounds (Axminster). Time consuming but does make an original pen. It is fairly heavy but well balanced. The problem is that aluminium scratches easily so it is prone to marking.

Woody, if I have missed anything out in the above please step in.

Ray

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I've never met Brian but know him well from other forums. He's not a lunatic but a very nice and very helpful man :bwink:

Ray

I'll tell him you said that Ray I am sure it will make his head swell :thinks:

Thanks for the link, I think I will need a lot more experience before I find the need for one.
It sounds like a load of tosh to me, someone's idea to make money probably.
Why not just tilt a normal scraper as he starts off by saying?

Oh and Brian laughed when I mentioned it to him, he has the same views as me, or do I have the same as him?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).