• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another introduction - hi guys!

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Hi everyone

Just thought since I'd joined I'd say hello.

I'm fairly new to penmaking but have really got into it recently and am getting a lot of enjoyment from it, and learning a lot.
My lathe is a Sieg C3 'minilathe', which really is a metalwork hobby machine (I think the size is 14 by 7 offhand), but after some other tweaks to it over the years I always wanted to try my hand at wood turning so bought the various bits & pieces to enable me to use it for that.

Didn't really do much with it initially other than make a big mess of wood chips, but now I've got a better idea what I want to do and how to do it I'm really enjoying it.

Look forward to hopefully becoming an active member here and learning more about this great pasttime, and slowly honing my skills etc :D

Cheers
Jim

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Jim, looking forward to seeing some of your work my friend .. :thumbs:

Matt

Registered
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of helpful, talented and utterly mad people on here in equal measure. Join in at your own risk! :banana:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hope you have a sense of humour Jim you will need it on here. By the way welcome to the mad house

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Jim Come in mate. where in the UK are you living, we have members from all over the globe in ear init?
Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, show us some of what you have made.

Peter

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Thanks guys

I'm lurking in the Irish Sea on a little rock ;)

Will try to get some pics up of the few things I've done so far and still have (as have given some away as presents and mostly just have test/practise ones left.

One question if I can ask it here (no worries if it should be in a different section), is to ask for suggestions for a modest priced but not rubbish roughing chisel?
The ones I have currently are cr@p to put it politely - I just needed something to get started basically so bought some Am-Tech ones (I knew roughly what to expect with that brand), but using the roughing chisel a lot to remove stock, I feel that's the first I would benefit from upgrading to some better metal. The blade doesn't even stay put in this thing, and constantly needs sharpening.

So I'm after something better blade quality than this stuff (don't care what the handle is like), but not anything expensive just yet. Appreciate any input as you guys will know best!

Cheers

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Welcome Jim, enjoy yourself.
Robert Sorby,,Crown Tools Henry Taylor, Ashley Iles to name but a few. All make excellent tools.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).