• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Interesting dilemma ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I recently re-established contact with an old friend, who is now a couturier to the stars. (She does dress design, for you Northerners ...). Her client list includes SamCam, members of various royal families, some rich Arabs, etc etc. so I proposed that she show my pens to her clients. After some skirting around the issue, she finally said what was on her mind - they're not EXPENSIVE enough ...

According to her, my minimum price point to penetrate that market should be in the region of £1,500 per pen. So here's the question - what differentiates a £1,500 pen from a £150 pen? Genuine question, as this is a genuine opportunity to get into a lucrative market. Any ideas?
:nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Gees, your alrate asking a Yorkshire guy a question like this, i find it hard to get into the £15 market ... :down:

I sincerely wish you good look David, and if you do get into this market please remember us mere mortals :thumbs:

You can start by looking at these pens David ... Royal Eastern and Dragons Emperor HTH ... :bwink:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
What makes a Saville Row suit worth the money?

Marketing.

OK can you sell based on the materials used? Rarity?

Exclusivity appeals to these people, tell a story of the pen.

Where did the wood grow? How old is it? How many hours to make?

For £1500 quid make it in front of them, for 3000 do it where they are Dubai or wherever, I know you can't fly the lathe but you get the idea ? Make a DVD of you making it for them give it with the pen.

Make it different. Make it an experience not an object.

Any help?

Bloody good luck to you!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Thanks guys! Phil, yes that was a great help. I'll scratch my head for a couple of ideas based on your suggestions and see how I go. Jim, those are most interesting pens! Not strictly 'handcrafted' though, I'm guessing you just screw them together? How many have you ordered? :fart:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).