• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alumilite

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
How many pen blanks castings can you do with this kit Paul?

I'm still on my first lot Ray and cocked up on the measuring twice now so I've made enough for 10 sierra blanks and 3* 17mmx17mmx125 blanks. I've probably got enough left for another 6-8 sierra blanks

I haven't used anything else yet but have some other stuff to try as well but having said that Alumite is very easy to use, doesn't smell and is nice and clear. The downside is how tuff the streamers are when turning it.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
Finally .... I asked a friend in the USA who uses Alumilite for a living and asked what the difference was against polyurethane resin and Alumilite.
His reply was :
"I have gotten a few questions about getting Alumilite in Europe, and I would imagine that alternative polyurethane resins would work very similar. I'd imagine there are a few minor differences, but it's probably negligible. "

:luck: whatever you choose to cast with :thumbs:

metalclayltd

Registered
First Name
Petra
Hi everyone, I'm Petra from MetalClay.co.uk - I came across this site and thread after realising a lot of our customers were pen makers, and we supply them with Alumilite (which I see some of you were after, the large 2 gallon kits sold out on a couple of hours, I'm so sorry, more are on the way... We have lots of the 16oz if that helps...)

I just wanted to check in and say hello, and ask if any of you was interested in sharing some of your work with us? We sometimes post pictures of customer's work and/or stories of how they work and what they do on Facebook and in our newsletter, and it would be really interesting to hear more about how the resin is used in pen making. It might be something that would work for us to share, which could get your work shown to people who wouldn't otherwise get to see it. If anyone is interested, you can send me an email through support@metalclay.co.uk.

And whilst I'm here, I would love to hear what you think about the resin - do most of you cast into moulds, or do you use it as a coating?

Thank you,
Petra

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Petra, I wasn't aware that you could use it as a coating, how would that be done?

I use moulds to cast the pen blank and then turn them such as:

Attachments

• 519a.jpg
    519a.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 517a.jpg
    517a.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 27
  • pongo.jpg
    pongo.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).