• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Streamline in Ash

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
:fart:
Never thought of using Ash for a pen, this has made me think again as this looks very nice. :bwink:

Try using rippled ash and applying some chestnut stain after sanding, the different parts of the rippled wood take up the stain more or less depending on the density of the wood and emphasises it, made six cigar pens in different colours and they flew off the stand.

Jim

Grand Master
Agree with Jed, i have turned my nose up at this wood for pens, seeing this certainly does change that perspective ... Neil, did you wax it after the staining .... :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Gav,

Behind the 8 ball with time this morning we have gobs of Mountain Ash over here where it has become rather precious price wise only grows in certain conditions at particular heights etc used extensively as a stable timber in upmarket buildings. The burl form in Tasmania is or can be mongrel full of holes etc made a real for me 2foot 6 inch bowl on one occassion dodging bark and viscious offcuts.

I too admire simple colour as you do thanks for showing your pen.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Agree with Jed, i have turned my nose up at this wood for pens, seeing this certainly does change that perspective ... Neil, did you wax it after the staining .... :thinks:

Jim,

Need a bit of experimentation after using the stain as some finishes can lift the stain. I tend to let it dry thoroughly, give it a light sand with the grain with 600 as the stain will have lifted fibres and then a squirt of can bases cellulose sanding sealer and finish from there. Sealer a must otherwise you can get a dogs dinner

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).