• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Two for the price of one

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made these just before I had to give up turning two for the price of one is made out of Red Mallee the other is White Oak ebonized with vinegar and wire wool

Attachments

• 97.JPG
    97.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 63.jpg
    63.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 43

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments

The mallee bowl is made by first finding two centers and I had some small ally face plates that I made they fitted in my axminster chuck fix them then turn two spigot's as feet very carefully working on only 1/2 at a time then turn the two bowls again very carefully working 1/2 at a time great care must be taken to get everything spot on none of this (that will do ) give it a go the only things that are to hard to do are those that you don't try and do good luck

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
:thumbs:Wow... Brilliant I have a long way to go, but I am loving it.

As a newbie can you explain the ebonizing process using vinegar.....Cheers Woody...

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Rowdy
It is quite simple really turn and sand your piece of Oak then you will need 000 wire wool at least and some vinegar there are two ways to go about it 1/ put some vinegar in a jar with some wire wool and let the W/W dissolve in the vinegar then just paint it on the Oak let it dry denib it may need another coat and denib again when it is dry then finish in your normal way
2/ this is the way I do it as I don't do it very often so just dip your a bit of your W/W in a small amount of vinegar and keep rubbing it on the Oak till it starts to change color it may go blue at first let it dry denib and if needed repeat it again finish as you would normally word of warning vinegar will make metal rust so be careful
Good luck and happy turning

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning here Woody,

Must confess my first impression of the Red Mallee piece it appeared to resemble Boudicca I thought very tastefully carved then the perspective changed into a lovely double , four way turned piece of great quality using one of my favourite burls Red Mallee. The tyrany of distance and freight makes it all the more precious. My mate the timber getter big time Burl cutter wholesaler tells me its getting hard to reach, find, cut , cost, handle. As a product it takes quite a lot of care initially very prone to splitting subject to lots of stresses for example he is almost careless with Brown Mallee but would never leave Red out in the sun ever. This Burl man lives 5 mins from me he exports large shipments to America. It has to be debarked, sprayed, carefully packed and is sold wet so he weighs it wringing wet with bark on thats how it is sold.

Me nowadays I dont buy Mallee wet takes years to dry naturally in large form I have seen two ton burls, they earn their money IMHO.

Your both creations have evolved following carefull thought and preparation an extreme pucker factor IMHO displaying great courage the flying wing on the black one has provided you with a guided missile to cut and turn as well as the Mallee edges to be avoided at all cost. All factors few people would ever know how much care you put into these two, I do and salute you.

Kind regards Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Peter thank you for your kind complements Red mallee is my favorite burr as well I got quite a lot of it a few years ago first time at 1/2 price then half price and the 4th one free but when I was told I had to stop turning I sold all that I had left and them deals dont come along very often but I did manage to turn a few very interesting bits most of them are sold now but we hung on to a few

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).