• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Slimline in Bog Oak

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
This is my first attempt with Bog Oak. After sanding to 12000 grit I decided to fill the open grain with liming wax to enhance the grain.The excess was then cleaned off and BLO applied to seal in the liming wax. 20 coats of CA were applied and micro meshed.
I am extremely pleased with the result but the photos don't show the liming wax at it's best The end result is a speckled finish to the Bog Oak.

Attachments

• 018 (282x450).jpg
    018 (282x450).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 019 (700x148).jpg
    019 (700x148).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20

Jim

Grand Master
Now that looks like Bog Oak, i had bad experience with this stuff and said i wouldn't turn it again ... If i had a result like this things would have certainly been different .. :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Now that looks like Bog Oak, i had bad experience with this stuff and said i wouldn't turn it again ... If i had a result like this things would have certainly been different .. :bwink:

Thanks Jim. I didn't think it was going to be successful until I filled the grain with liming wax which is used by a lot of turners to enhance their bowls when turning open grain wood such as oak!!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry,

Neat twist in finishing, I have for far too long had little success in capturing real dark images of pens thanks for showing your answer to coarse grain looks great from here.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Terry,

Neat twist in finishing, I have for far too long had little success in capturing real dark images of pens thanks for showing your answer to coarse grain looks great from here.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Thanks Peter. As liming wax is used quite a lot on bowls etc with coarse grain I thought it would be worth trying on a pen. I thought BLO would be a good way to seal the wax prior to using CA.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).