• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Interesting website

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Some of you have probably come across this guy already but for those like me who haven't there are some very interesting articles.

I've been thinking about some pen jaws to fit my chuck and had Axi been able to supply would have spent some of my hard earned today but whilst looking on line I came across this article Auxiliary Pen Blank Jaws which has inspired me to make my own.

His website has loads more Articles

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I might be missing the plot here, but this seems another convoluted way to solve a very simple problem, if it indeed is a problem.

The article refers to problems of drill deflection on initial imapct of drill and wood, the other being drill deflection as a result of following the grain. Both issues can be cured by taking your colt 7mm drill bit back to axminster and telling them it is useless as the maximum you need to drill a 7mm hole is normally 63mm for a euro or about 75mm for a razor handle! Get a smaller drill and it wont be so flexible. However, the issue of impact deflection or skidding - the article refers to starting with a counter sink drill but mentions the time consuming tedium of changing the drill bits. Well dont change the drill bits, dont fit the counter sink, dont use the countersink, use the tip of a skew. Why make things unnecessarily complicated and time consuming.

If anyone does feel the need to drill on the lathe, and I accept there are some times when it is a necessity, such as segmented work to ensure that you have got central drilling off to perfection, then why not make your own with a set of plates 100mm Wood Jaw Plates - Jaws for Axminster 100mm Chucks - Woodturners Chucks - Woodturning - Woodturning & Crafts | Axminster Tools & Machinery. If you dont want to buy a set of plates there is a very cheap way of making a jig to grip pen blanks based on Gary Rances off centre pendant jig if anyone is familiar with that? Ill make one this afternoon and post it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There are so many answers to drilling blanks I am about to take on a large number myself but it will be in a drill press one after the other with an X Y Axis vice using V cut vice jaws a one off purchase forever ago drilled thousands of blanks since. My blanks are or have been predominantly cut from burl chasing grain, irregular in shape.

I do observe on the forum so many blanks are prepared to order that is to fulfill orders in some form of haste using CA and fast setting glues a penalty of pressure.

Tomorrow is the first day of renewal for me an attempt to do some things for me in the workshop where too many pressures have stopped me for the last three and a half years. I am buying from the states some gear to enable me to follow another path in pens looking forward to having fun. As a pensioner for best part of twenty yrs and a hobby pen maker for thirty yrs my purchases have merit provan over this time.

I take a great stock in what Neil has to say from a man who makes a living from making pens he has to make his methods work and provide. The lathe is one part of my process mostly only for pens not busting a gut on oversized blanks I have another 50 yr old Woodfast lathe for that. DeWalt Extreme 2 drills do the job for me the drill point is like a centre drill to prepare the entry of the main drill body and they offer me cheap as chips longevity sometimes hundreds of complete pen blanks in my case two piece pens so double that blanks.

As penmaking has progressed I do not envy the inventory etc involved in so many extras storage access and purchases.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks Neil, those wood jaw plates look very useful. I still have some credit left on an Axi gift card so will look at those.:thumbs:

The reason I posted the link is because there are a lot of interesting articles perhaps of interest to turners like me who don't have your experience and expertise and of course not under the time pressure of needing to produce 100s of pens.
personally I love jigs and tools and always interested so much appreciate your valued suggestions which make a lot of sense and I try to soak up as many different views as possible.

I own a pretty decent Meddings pillar drill which is accurate and capable but I drill on the lathe because I found that I prefer that method. I have very few off centre problems and even fewer blow outs but seems logical to me that it would be more accurate to grip the blank in 2 jaws rather than 4, hence my interest in the pen jaws which were reviewed by Walter.

The idea of a couple of simple magnetic jaws from alloy scrap (which I already have) looks an easy and free option and I could probably make them as quick as could wooden jaws.

When I get around to doing anything is another matter of course.:funny:

ps: If you can find time to post that article it would be muchly appreciated Neil !

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Bob,

This is the contraption I have been known to use when necessary.

Ready to be cut into four and the inner corners cut off equally. The small circle in the middle will determine the square that will be cut out, the intersection of the circle and the north/south east/west cut lines will form the corner on each quarter. Each quarter is marked to ensure they go in the right order as they were free hand cut on the bandsaw so might not be perfect.

And here you can see the ruber bands that hold it together.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).