• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How can I recover a tube ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well, like it says how can I recover a tube ?

Turned down a brown mallee and got right to the last bit and PING a big chip goes missing now somewhere in the shed.

It was epoxied in, so whats the best way to recover the tube or do I just say s*d it and get a spare with the next order ?

Cheers
Phill

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Put it back on the lathe and turn it down to the brass tube I think I saw Walter do a demo on here somewhere, look up his posts to see it.
Good luck all is not lost.

Jim

Grand Master
Shame you couldn't find the missing piece as sometimes you can even save the work you are doing gluing this back in and using sand dust from the turning to make a cover job ... :bwink:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Depends what pen you're makin. If its very length sensitive then it may be in the bin if you've already lost any of the length trimming it. It's a good idea to treat yourself to a set of 300mm long tubes in the 7mm 8mm 3/8 and some of the other size tubes if you don't turn sufficient numbers of the same pen to warrant keeping spares for each kit. I throw the defects away, don't have time to bugger around salvaging a tube, could have made two more in the time.

For other sizes model shops like ALS hobbies (also good for cheap zap) stock most of the imperial tube sizes.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).