• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lock and Load pen potential pitfall

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Just a little tip when assembling the Lock and Load pen, don't be tempted like I was to take the nib end off when assembling the pen :nonono: as you're likely to break the brass threaded end the nib screws on to. :goesred: :vangry: thinking that by taking the nib end off I'd be preventing damage to it.

And another issue I had with this pen was there was still some swarf left in the top part of the pen that prevents the Lock and Load slide from moving up and down and I didn't notice this until I had assembled the pen and then had to take a needle file and try to remove the swarf and metal burr. I managed it in the end but it was rather annoying. Sorry Dan, but there is a quality control issue here. Otherwise it's a great looking pen.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the tip Ray... can you guess whats missing? eh? come on ... guess... yup you got it, the photos :funny:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Thanks for the tip Ray... can you guess whats missing? eh? come on ... guess... yup you got it, the photos :funny:
Unfortunately Paul it got thrown down the end of the garage in anger into the abyss of chairs, bbq, ladders, and God knows what junk. I was mightily pissed off at the time. I love wasting my money on things that I cock up :funny:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
When I cock things up and my God I have had a load of them in my lifetime I count it as a part of the learning curve. The time to worry and get really pissed off is if you repeat the initial cock up !

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
When I cock things up and my God I have had a load of them in my lifetime I count it as a part of the learning curve. The time to worry and get really pissed off is if you repeat the initial cock up !

You're right Vic, but when I've got to the end of making a pen and it goes wrong it's the wasted time and in this case the wasted kit that makes me angry at myself. However I'll put a bit more margin on the others to compensate :ciggrin:

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
This just a general comment and not aimed at any supplier or manufacturer, and to be honest it may be down to lack of experience, but one issue I really have trouble with is assembly instructions. Some leave a lot to be desired and presume that the constructor has previous background knowledge of pen assembly.

Hence why forums are a popular resource for many of us, we ask because we don't know, even after reading the manual and looking at you tube videos. Even then it sometimes goes pete tong.

Dad, I fink I got it wrong again.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8HjDRrHt0

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).