• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

"resin saver" V's "Tube in" molds

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
hello folks

I have noticed a lot of threads on here recently about resin saver molds and casting.

there are two types of molds:

those with built in silicon plugs like these that timber bits sell
Pen Making Resin Saver Mold

and those molds with separate silicon plugs which go through a hole in the side of the mold, like these
PTownSubbie.com - Silicone Molds

I have tried both and find that both are very good but for those wanting to use pressure and for those who may use slightly different length tubes (for example the differences in the jnr range) the molds with separate plugs are best.
they cope with moderate pressure and due to you being able to squeeze the plug through the mold wall by varying amounts you can cast different length tubes in the same mold, for example I used to cast atrax RB/FP and triton RB/FP in the same mold.

not trying to P on anyone's parade and i'm not affiliated with any supplier just my experience over the past few years.

PAUL.M: the sierra molds you bought from me are PTownsubbie molds

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
the other advantage of the ones with plugs, as I see it is that it looks easier to rotate the tubes. SO if you are sticking things to the tubes- stamps, carbon fibre etc, you can check for bubbles. Never done it, but i did watch some youtube vids.

Jim

Grand Master
I was tempted a while ago to buy some molds from PTownsubbie, but i gave it a miss due to postage costs .. I started a thread about this where Fred picked up on the link and replied in the thread .. Here it is ..

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks George, I have already ordered some moulds from them :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).