• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

sharpening my tools!

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
At the minute i use an old bench grinder to sharpen my tools, something that i struggle with to be honest. I am looking for advice as i want to improve my sharpening, i have watched many videos on this, all to no avail. The videos make it look so easy but when it comes to putting it in practice i fail. :goesred:

I have a budget of around £100, what did you buy to improve your sharpening? :thinks:

Obviously the £100 will have to buy something second hand. :ciggrin:

The Wood Bucket

I have a slow speed grinder with two 8 inch wheels. One 80 grit and one 120 grit. I also use the WOLVERINE GRINDING JIG Wolverine Grinding Jig

One trick is to color the tip with a black marker, then you can see where you are grinding and adjust to get a perfect grind.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have a Record Power 8 inch bench grinder, like WB says, mark the tip of your tool it does help. It is all about practice, if you have some cheap tools, bought when you first started turning i would suggest using these to practice with. When you go to the grinder without reservations you know you have cracked it. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).