• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Prismatic Jaws from Grizzly in America

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
These are sold singly for around 11 dollars IMHO a pair is needed then any rough cut or perfect cut pen blank is dead easy to grip vertically in an X Y movement Vice. I have been using mine for many many years.
Rumour has it some firms in the US dont sell international.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 36

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Well funny you should say that Jim but it takes all sorts in this world they promoted them for years as per one only needed but perhaps because they are quality and most users are metal people who have different needs. Once again I say cheap as chips I have had mine for umpteen years would not be without them for quids, do a small exercise with them I would pay many times their cost cheerfully for the ease and strength on my X Y axis vice. Now this from me who spent happily thousands for Hasselblad Cameras went to America long ago to get a full Mamiya outfit in New York, travelled to Singapore to Buy Discus fish at a hundred dollars each in the 70,s call me enthusiastic if you like.

Each one of those prismatic shapes can be used with advantage, picture in your mind the bonus of the horizontal grip for pen blanks to allow damage free hands while you finish the faces of you blanks.

I agree to you and me pairs would be the way to go but heck they say one is enough we say two is terrific.

Anyone remember the Triumph Mayflower car? perhaps not but it was ugly as and a good mate of mine bought one and took me 60 miles to confirm my love for my girlfriend, fiance, wife of 58 yrs guess we all have reasons or needs to do everything.

As pen people IMHO we need to cut our cloth and make wise purchases for the long haul. I clearly remember my dad in his eighties stripped his backyard garden of every fruit tree, laid new paths planted around 30 new fruit trees etc, next door my sister shook her head saying he and mum will never get the benefit of all that work, well guess what he did died at 92 yrs of age hardly a weed ever in his garden averaged about 4 hrs sleep a night for umpteen yrs, his motto if you want something do it.

Okay so back to prismatic jaws they easily convert to X Y vices they really work I have been blessed with a good eye for centre and verticals and find it served me well as a sparky lining up switches, power points, switch boards, when I drill blanks I knock over dozens at a time when I was heavily into Corian 1/2 inch square blanks 95 out of a hundred drilled near dead centre. Every repeating task I devote a corner and something to do it with I hate routine my answer.

Everything shared on forums you notice I this I that well there is a reason cause it works for me Mr average with OH&S, litigeous well meaning people everywhere presenting my take on things is my idea of sharing.

Kind regards Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
As pen people IMHO we need to cut our cloth and make wise purchases for the long haul. I clearly remember my dad in his eighties stripped his backyard garden of every fruit tree, laid new paths planted around 30 new fruit trees etc, next door my sister shook her head saying he and mum will never get the benefit of all that work, well guess what he did died at 92 yrs of age hardly a weed ever in his garden averaged about 4 hrs sleep a night for umpteen yrs, his motto if you want something do it.

I like this statement, if you want something do it ... Today it has changed a little ... if you want something buy it .. :whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just browsing old pics here are a few blanks cut one session, glued one session, drilled you guessed it one session look where the holes are same both sides trust me mostly centre all over the place sizes and shapes and timbers actually a small batch. Using the X Y Vice and prismatic jaws.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001-138.JPG
    DSCF0001-138.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 19

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Anyone remember the Triumph Mayflower car?
I know where there is one in a barn still to this day and largely complete although the wooden floor leaves much to be desired. I tried to buy it some years ago for a restoration project but the owner wouldn't and still wont sell.
An Alvis and a Vauxhall Wyvern sit either side of it with a Armstrong Siddeley in the corner under a leaky roof one side completely rotted into the ground.
My car working days are now over but I still visit the farm and could cry when I see the state the place has become.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).