• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mulberry Pen Blanks From the USA

Jim

Grand Master
These are the same blanks that Sharon posted earlier this month, see this link http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-tu...t-rollerball-sierra-custom-slim.html#post9536 ..

mulberry_pen_blanks.jpg

I couldn't resist asking if she would post some over here to which she kindly did, giving me some tips on how to treat the wood when turning them also... There is a couple which i could turn without any serious stabilising, but the majority of them will have to be stabilised for sure, so i need to get my finger out on the project on stabilising which i started a few months ago, i really look forward to seeing these blanks turned and on pen kits .. :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Good luck to you Jim I hope you have success but I am still not keen on the turquoise.
I have it on good authority that Vinny from the Turners Workshop has the rights on the trimmings from the Mulberry bush in the nursery rhyme but he won't divulge the source nor will he sell the blanks he gets from it.
Nice to have a niche, I hear Woody and friends can tell stories of oak whiskey barrel blanks and HMS Victory wood plus another Yankee ship that was being junked.
Getting back to your windfall it looks at the moment something to start a barbecue with, which is what I would have done if I hadn't seen the glory of the penturning world.
Can't wait to see the end result, hopefully on a back to basic kit that would sicken some.

Jim

Grand Master
That is what makes our hobby worth while George, the wood goes from frog to prince, or summat along those lines ... :bwink:

That Vinny is one lucky bas*&%d .. :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
What you going to do with a 1/4 of a ton Neil?

Jim, you have your work cut out with those blanks. :ciggrin:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
only a quarter ton? :face:

Piker. I have almost three tons of mulberry in my backyard. Not by choice. But it is just too pretty to take to landfill, so....

Sharon

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
What you going to do with a 1/4 of a ton Neil?

Jim, you have your work cut out with those blanks. :ciggrin:

1/4 ton at 250 KG is a bit of an understatement, there are about twenty rings each 14 inches across by about 14 deep, probably about 20Kg + each. It'll go the same way as the other hauls that I have managed to accumulate, a garage that I rent near home that is a wood drying store, some slabbed at 2/3 and 4 inches, some cut as pen blanks. The tree surgeon who took this tree down is due to cut 25 yew trees in September! I'm trying to suggest that he might want to hammer nails into tree, tag them and delay the felling until October but I dont hold out any hope unfortunately! Would be worth paying the £350 a day cost on a mizer to plank it (after taking the nails out!)

Jim

Grand Master
Sharon, Will happily come and clear your yard for you! Unfortunately the logistics might make it uneconomical!

Neil, would it be cheaper with two clearing the wood .... :frenchkiss:

25 Yew trees is quite a lot of turning .... :goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).