• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Robert Sorby Pen Jaws

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Does anyone use these jaws? I ruined 2 blanks today going off center. Do the blanks need to be 100% square as i normally use a pillar drill to drill the blanks with better success. Another annoyance drilling on the lathe is switching the jaws around when using the same chuck.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Does anyone use these jaws? I ruined 2 blanks today going off center. Do the blanks need to be 100% square as i normally use a pillar drill to drill the blanks with better success. Another annoyance drilling on the lathe is switching the jaws around when using the same chuck.

No, I have never used them. but I would have thought that it if they had to be true and square that would cause some grief. If that is the case I would have binned them..:rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
I use the 4 pinned jaws Andy, and thou the blanks don't have to be 100% square it does help if you can get them as close to square as possible ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).