• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Press- Doh ! , part two...

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Similar to clumsysod..on his pen press reply.. but I have fixed my press jaws together and used plastic jaws. so no holding blocks in place. just pick it up and press the pens together.

As pen press thread believe me this has far been the easiest press I have ever used, trust me I have made a few pens..

Attachments

• pen press.JPG
    pen press.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 84

Jim

Grand Master
Good to see implements like these Silver, George may update his to the latest version now ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
What do you mean.. mine is the "original version" :fart:

Quite right Silver I never pretended that mine was original I did say I had seen it somewhere before on another forum.
It is simply my take on the idea, I believe I have seen it elsewhere too so not sure you can claim the original but I won't argue that point.
At that time I didn't have the tools or materials to make your version and wasn't sure that it would work as you can see I had two attempts at it before settling on what I still use to this day (the wooden block one).
I have now made many pens and don't feel the need to change it, I use it for so much more than just a pen press and it is still a mastic gun when required.
Thanks for the idea if it was yours I saw.
I can see a definite advantage in your version in that it lays flat so I may yet have a go at it.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I use the fairly standard pen press from the likes of axminster etc but have made two simple modifications. The handle to tighten the bar in place was a total nightmare that made your fingers sore, so that went and was replaced eith the handle currently in situ. I found that the plastic section cut up badle so have replaced it with a sacrificial wood [iece that I occasionally brush over the sander. The piston used to bow up under pressure meaning that the force was not in the right direction when a bit of force was needed so I drilled and fixed the bit of sapele in place that you can see, it ensures the force is directly in line every time.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
but have made two simple modifications.

Why should you have to modify a pen press that was made to press pen parts together.:vangry:

I had one similar and had all the same problems.. That's why is abandoned it. Make one of these Neil and you won't look back..

Jim

Grand Master
I also made a handle on the same press Neil, but for the love of god i don't recall why ... :nooidea:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning here,

This reminds me of the story of the miserable guy who every day on the railway platform weighed himself the scale also made passing remarks, one day the fella thought I am going to fool, beat, shame this hunk of iron so he stood as usual plonked his money in and the machine said you are 5 ft 8 inches tall , you weigh precisely 11 stone and youre catching the 8.15 to Liverpool. Ill fix this he said and tried numerous things like adding a heavy suitcase, the machine said one at a time please. Next and so on finally after ages and ages he went back to normal and said you are 5 ft 8 inches tall, you weigh a little less than 11 stone and for stuffing around with this machine you have missed the 8.15 to Liverpool.

In the 70,s as an Alderman on a City Council it was common for a stiff debate much angst wasted time on a petty kerb restoration when the major budget came up everyone said I defer to the presenter, his qualifications, his knowledge pass the damn thing.

Here we are in this day and age making a pen playing with uneasy objects etc to save a pound devoted to cutting someones price for machines, searching for the Shangrila in Pen Presses, Chisels etc.

My pen press is a one ton bearing press Modified (horror) in seven ways placed at eye height ever there ready to go, does the job saves me missing the train to Liverpool. Show us your pens.

Mind you?

Nevermind have fun play amongst yourselves as my Mum would say.

Works for me kind regards Peter.:whistling:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Morning here,

My pen press is a one ton bearing press Modified (horror) in seven ways placed at eye height ever there ready to go, does the job saves me missing the train to Liverpool. Show us your pens.

Night here..

Precisely the point Peter, your 1 ton pres was made for fitting bearing and not meant for pressing pen parts together, so modify in any way you want to make it do what you want it to do.

To have to modify a pen press to make it do what you purchased if for is the whole point. you shouldn't have to do it..

The Caulking gun that is "modified" (Horror) is not meant to be a pen press, but it does the job better (in my experience) than that of the tools provided specifically for the job..

And I didn't miss the 08:15 to Liverpool, I got the earlier one at 07:15, early bird catches the worm.:whistling:

My Rant over for today.. :rolling::bored1:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi there,

My Vicmarc was not made and designed for penmaking if it was the point to point would be dead accurate, like you said the Bearing Press was made to press bearings, My X and Y axis was made for metal work the special jaws to hold metal, the very worst design of live centre point into the outer end of the mandrel was considered the way to go, the fine papers I use are wet and dry designed for the motor trade, drills I use were designed and sold for drilling stainless steel, my drillpress for most anything but pen blanks had it for years before Pen making, disk sander in its natural form for other things primarily, my wood chisels for bowl turning, this forum for all of us no rant just facts. My mods to suit me work for me designed by me shared to all on the site.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).