• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello

Teenage Turner

Apprentice Member
First Name
James
I am 14 and started to turn on a lathe when helping my grandad in his shed. He gave me a his clarke veryiable speed as he packed in due to ill health. My family and friends tease me saying that it is for old men. I saw this site after searching for turned pens after visiting the axminster store with my dad and saw the kits so we looked what they looked like. Dad says he will buy me some now. :thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome to the forum James.
We have a couple of younger members, though Alex is getting on a bit now:devil::funny::funny:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome to the forums James, you will be fine here mate there's plenty of answers and advice in here, enjoy it!:thumbs:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Welcome.to forum a good place for information.

I just wish I could have got started at your age..

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
welcome James
I wanted a lathe at your age
been turning for nearly 2 years now
my 50th this year
start now and enjoy

Steve

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi James, you will find tons of help and advice on this site. I didn't start tuning until I was 55 so you have got at least a 40 year start on me !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 50

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums James, in a few years from now you will thank your Grandfather for introducing you to wood turning at such a young age .. Looking forward to seeing your finished pens. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome James and your benefactor family you have the lathe getting things together, no doubt with the lathe came tools etc. Enjoy the forum we have other young members. When I was your age Lawn Bowling was inhabited by older people now the champions are quite young ,age is not the barrier it was.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome James, its nice to see some more young ones join me on here:devil: (I'm only just over 50(ish), honest)

Don't pay any attention to the ones that are saying its an old mans game, they will be "well Jel" when they see what you start making. Once you start selling them they will be even more :envy:

Get clearance from your parents and send me a PM with you addy on and I will pop some goodies in the post for you.:thumbs:

Hey, just realised..... what is that profile name going oto look like when you get to our age.. might have to change it too Tee, Tee. but then again we used to have a Tadlow Turner (TT) but he turned out to be a really grumpy old Git...:face:

Paul

Fellow
Welcome fella. To be honest your older than a lot of the mental ages here.

Age is no barrier. Have fun.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya James come in and browse the forums, lots of info, crazy chat and general crap talked in here but they are a great bunch and very helpful.
Where are based? There might be someone local to you who could show you the ropes.
Safe spinning young man, protect the lungs with masks and keep your fingers on your hands not on the floor.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum James, my son tells me its for old people as well and I just don't listen to him because I know and you know that its skillfull and the best hobby ever... well probably anyway. Anything you want to know about turning pens or anything, just ask and don't be worried that you might think its a stupid question or whatever as we have stupid people that can answer it :funny:
The only thing you've got to do is turn your pens and show us the pictures of them good or bad so that you can be guided into making the best pens possible. Oh and when those people who say turning is for old people want a pen... double the price :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Welcome aboard James. Don't be scared to ask questions, you'll get plenty of very good advice just read between the lines a bit as they're all nutters on here (not me though :winking:)

I bought my first drill powered lathe when I was 12 but no forums like this to help, come to think about it - no internet either:thinks::goesred:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi James - welcome aboard. Its a great game to be in, and the younger the better. I started turning when I was a school lad, and I'm grateful to my teachers for giving me the opportunity.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Welcome James this is a great hobby. Where about's do you live, County will do not exact address. Like many have already said never be afraid to ask. And as the saying goes "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask", lots of very helpful guys here

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).