• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oil Paint for Colouring Resin

Jim

Grand Master
I was talking with a work colleague a few days ago about casting Polyester Resin and using different products to colour it .. I mentioned that water based is a no no but oil based would be fine ... He told me he had some oil paint used for canvas painting and the next day he brought me in two tubes of it in Ref and Yellow .. Now i don't know if this would work as i don't have any resin to try it out .. Has anyone heard of using this product with casting?? :thinks:

oil_paint.JPG

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Jim,

Dont do any casting myself, dont know what pigments are used for blanks but I did used to make boats from PR, the first process after polishing the mould was to apply a gelcoat which we did using a very strong pigment. The pigment was used to colour the gelcoat and also the first layer of PR put into the matt to give the construction some depth of colour in case of later crashes! Whilst these seem quite expensive I dont know if there are companies that supply smaller volumes but I guess that you could get away with one each of the primary colours and then play around mixing your own palette?

Fiberglass Supplies (Leeds) Ltd Pigments

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the heads up Neil .. .Added these to my bookmarks ... :bwink:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I think it depends on the resin. Alumilite is very particular about it's coloring agent. You can use dry powdered colorants, or the ones from the Aluminite people, but other colorants either make it foam or keep it from setting.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).