• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Happy Days

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Went to my Woodturning club on Saturday, dont get there often as I'm mostly away at fairs over the weekends but got back from Spain at 2200 on Friday, got to the club on Saturday morning. They had had a delivery of Australian Burrs cut in 2004 so down 9 years. Eucalyptus burr notorious for taking years to dry, but managed to secure myself a nice piece at 300mm square by 100mm deep. Should get a few pens out of that! Also managed to get some coolibah burr, yellow box burr and some fantastic Myrtle burr, making a Roman Harvest from the Myrtle at the moment so will try and post iut later tonight, heres the eucalyptus burr

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Another photo, this of an unknown timber,

Its got a vivid flame on one face and the burr showing on the other is really tight and of several primary colours, reds and yellows. Should be good.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The yellow box burr sounds interesting, i dont recall seeing a pen made with this wood.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

Remember the other day I bought some top stuff well snap I think I have a similar piece like your reddish one but unlike Gynocologists we recognise timber by the bark side People by their faces also if you can show me a pic I will do so with my Red Mallee Piece also coated with Wax some years. By the way written u/neath the waxed red side was the weight 3.4 kg wet purchase price now weighs 2.5 kg dry a loss of .8 kg. Living proof that cut dry blanks can be selected by eye and off the shelf are really quite cheap except like my job lot and perhaps yours. If its Red you will be able to share with Jim? Twist?

Please find a yellow box Burl Pen from way back both Red Mallee, Red Gum Burl and Yellow Box burl quite tough heavy timbers. Ordinary red gum and mallee sell as firewood lots of heat long lasting.

Have fun Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• Burl 765x173.JPG
    Burl 765x173.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 21

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

Back again threw the slice of RED MALLEE BURL on a lounge cushion may help to identify yours now I showed you mine? under the wax marked 3.4 kg wet purchase weight now weighs 2.5 kg.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).