• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Not bad for the first attempt

First Name
Dan
So the first attempt is completed and cast.
I do need to rethink the mould as it was difficult to get out the silicon once cast.

I also need to resize the writing and rotate but all in all I am really happy with how it has turned out.

879776158ac267a31ed881a3730e310c.jpg

6b7d104e4c8b3307b12e3c64907f7dc5.jpg

43072108be8c226777487a9f0a23f295.jpg

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
It looks a difficult piece to envisage. I can see what it's meant to be, but I can't imagine the negative that will make it. Good luck with your plans Dan they will help us all :thumbs:

First Name
Dan
It looks a difficult piece to envisage. I can see what it's meant to be, but I can't imagine the negative that will make it. Good luck with your plans Dan they will help us all :thumbs:

Thanks Don, It has taken a lot to try and envisage the mould to make this. The best way to describe it is the try and this upside down and inside out, even then the mould didn't work as i expected it to.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
it still needs some improvements before it is fit for a road test. I am hoping to have them on sale by the end of next week.
No worries Dan, I'm on holiday first two weeks of May and I'm hoping to take the bits with me to make a start on preparing the barrels for casting. It'll give me something to do whilst we're cruising the canals :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Am I being thick here but I thought the idea was to have spigots to fit into the tubes ?

You have recesses not spigots.

Tell me to get back under my rock if I'm being dense.

Jim

Grand Master
Very good first effort Dan, did you use silicon release spray on the mould?

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Am I being thick here but I thought the idea was to have spigots to fit into the tubes ?

You have recesses not spigots.

Tell me to get back under my rock if I'm being dense.
I think he's made separate plugs that will push through the holes in the mould into the brass tube. I understand its considered a better way of doing it rather than fixed plugs

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well done Dan, that certainly is a good first attempt. If you've got to re-work the mould, how about making the centre recess so that it's just a thin piece. I have moulds with and without that and think that its for the two part pens to hold the 2 parts together and only needs a slither. If its too much of a change then it is very workable as it is

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well done Dan, that certainly is a good first attempt. If you've got to re-work the mould, how about making the centre recess so that it's just a thin piece. I have moulds with and without that and think that its for the two part pens to hold the 2 parts together and only needs a slither. If its too much of a change then it is very workable as it is... having Omega cast into the blank helps as well for when you've stowed them away for a while and no longer remember what kit they're for.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).