• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Waterclear Resin

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I got fed up waiting for the 1Gall of Alumilite to arrive so bought a 2.2KG kit fo FC-6600 from MBFibreglass.

I worked out the cost against buying the 16oz Alumilite kits and the results are:

16oz Alumilite including p&p £23
2.2KG FC-6600 including p&p £63

For less than 3 times the price of the Alumilite kit you get more than 4 times the amount of resin.
You get 23 Sierra casts from a 16oz Alumilite Kit and 114 from theFC-6600
cost per Alumilite Sierra cast is 97p and for the FC-6600 is 55p

I used FC-6600 for the cast I did with cones and it is just as good as Alumilite

The drawback is that FC-6600 isn't a 1:1 mix its a 100:120 mix by weight so you have to work that out but for people that don't want to work it out themselves, here is an aid.

Attachments

• FC6600 mix.pdf
    117.6 KB · Views: 33

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I don't think there was so much an excitement Walter as needing to re-invent the wheel due to a lack of knowledge.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Do you still need a pressure pot for that stuff Paul?

It works the same as alumilite Phil and I think will work without it. I'll do a couple of blanks without pressuring them to see.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for this Paul, i have done casts using Waterclear Resin without using the pressure pot with good results. I think reading all the hype about Alumilite makes us or rather me want to sample it for my own piece of mind .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).