• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

epoxy casting resin

First Name
Dan
Afternoon all,

I have had a company looking into Alumilite for me and they have come back to me with a product that they feel will do the same job and matches a lot of the qualities of Alumilite however.............

one key difference is that the product they suggest is a clear epoxy resin and not a polyurethane with a mix ratio of 100:50. Has anybody had any experience of turning epoxy and or casting with it?

AndyC65

First Name
Andy
Afternoon all,

I have had a company looking into Alumilite for me and they have come back to me with a product that they feel will do the same job and matches a lot of the qualities of Alumilite however.............

one key difference is that the product they suggest is a clear epoxy resin and not a polyurethane with a mix ratio of 100:50. Has anybody had any experience of turning epoxy and or casting with it?

Was he called Jeff by any chance?

I had a similar conversation and he also recommended a 2:1 epoxy resin/hardener to me. I have it here now, and I was going to try this weekend - will let you know.

I use his clear casting resin for making paperweights, but it's too soft for pens.

cheers,

Andy C

AndyC65

First Name
Andy
I had my first play with epoxy resin on Friday.

All I can say is it takes forever to cure!

Still not cured tey - but am going to stick it in the oven to improve that time.

Will let you know.

cheers,

Andy C

Jim

Grand Master
Will be interested in the results of this Andy, if you would care to post them up my friend .. :thumbs:

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I had my first play with epoxy resin on Friday.

All I can say is it takes forever to cure!

Still not cured tey - but am going to stick it in the oven to improve that time.

Will let you know.

cheers,

Andy C

Ah now I know what that almighty bang was!! It'll be on Look North tommorrow. Doncaster now a wasteland. Tress felled for 10 miles. Men and Women in overalls etc seen cutting them in to 25mm x 25mm x 150mm blanks.:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).