• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby V's Nova

Jim

Grand Master
Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck and the Super Nova-2 Chuck are probably the most used chucks among us turners but which out of the two do you prefer? :nooidea:

If you don't have one of these two tell us what you have and if you would swap it for one of the above... :winking:

Me, i prefer the Super Nova, i like how it is more user friendly on the edges. How they have rounded the chuck of at the edges gives less chances os be cut like i have with the Sorby Chuck ...

The Nova Chuck

nova.jpg

The Sorby comes with a rubber band on the outer edge, but after a while this will come off, which i have seen on all other chucks of different turners ... Once the band goes it is then that you are more susceptible to snatches etc, as the edges are now more prominent

The Sorby Chuck

patriot.jpg

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well i have a G3 and a super nova and i have court my finger on the G3 i have also use a Dakota and they are not as good as the nova chucks so i am a nova boy

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
To be honest I'm not a fan of the Nove nor the R/S chucks but in all fairness to them I have only used other peoples and never owned one I have always used Axminster chucks from when they were made by Toolmex then they started making there own and the standard of the chucks slipper quite a bit but they have had a big revamp on there chucks and they are now every bit as good as before the quality is great and they have a very good range of jaws also in my opinion there button jaws are superior but this is just my opinion

Jed Baxter

Registered
I have the supanova chuck i dont know if it is supposed to but when i move the jaws they are very loose, also one of the jaws seems to be slightly behind the others when tightening them up on a blank?

Bluefoxy

I have both and quite frankly can't tell the difference between them other than the patriot jaws do not need to be lined up with numbers suggesting it may be better engineered.

Ray

mervyn cadman

I have both the G3 and a super nova - the nova I use on my Nova DVD 3000 and the G3 is used a lot on the Jet 1220VS I also use the nylon soft jaws with the G3 both are just great chucks - that's my view guys.

Merv

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).