• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Got my 1948 Delta bandsaw up and working

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I inherited this from my father, who got it from my grandfather. It was the first power saw my grandfather ever let me use when I was about ten years old.

IMG_2868.JPG

Jed Baxter

Registered
It looks a very sturdy machine Sharon, do you believe that todays band saws have improved much from this one or are they basically the same. :nooidea:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
This is so much better than my modern saw! I can't believe the difference. It cuts through 11" chunks of hardwood with just a regular blade. My newer one struggled 5 inch wood with a timberwolf blade.

Jim

Grand Master
Sharon, it looks like it is new, you certainly have maintained it all these years ... To have wheels on today's bandsaws you have to pay extra, i wouldn't be surprised if these came as standard back then ... :thinks:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
My grandfather made that wheel kit. He was pretty amazing. He was a carpenter and machinist. I have his 9 inch South Bend metal lathe, too.

Jim

Grand Master
My grandfather made that wheel kit. He was pretty amazing. He was a carpenter and machinist. I have his 9 inch South Bend metal lathe, too.

Ehmm, then it may have been your Grandfather who gave today's machinists the idea ... :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sharon,
My Hercus 9 inch lathe was made in Australia in 1967 by Hercus Aust who were given the patterns and designs by South Bend in the 40,s to assist with the war effort I use my Hercus most every second day for all sorts of needs regard it as my right hand back up for so many reasons. I agree with the comments on your Dads Saw as well.

Kind regards Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sharon,

There are on line free manuals for the Hercus find out on the U Beaut site under Metal work / Hercus.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).