• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

PICS OF HOWARD TAKEN IN THE 1970,s

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
From 1972 to 1978 my dearly beloved and I bought an established 120 yr old Photo Studio in a Country City where my wife was born, two reasons to be near her family and friends and to follow my hobby to Pro in Photography. Howard worked at the local newspaper his brother was the Photographer there and Howard was responsible for transposing all pics to plates used on the printing press ie dot pattern transfer, since every wedding etc we photographed they accepted for free and published it was a source of great advertising for us and Howard went right out of his way to do a top job especially as colour was a new medium at this time and the newspaper always then B&W. He Howard,s father was a Professor of music and Howard inherited ? aquired what has been described as perfect pitch, after we left he took his knowledge and abilities to the Sydney Conservatorium of Music where he taught. Recently I found some samples of our work we had used on the studio walls this combined set of multi,superimposed etc pics was my attempt to portray Howards versatility and huge talent in music, he was the main part of a Baroque group that was his forte, he met, taught, married his former pupil he met in the School.

Last night following my tracing him to where he lives in retirement now Howard is coming to visit as I offered him this finished product together with the negative miraculously saved from that time. Colour negative material was only commence just before the 70,s over here in fact for quite some time it was an uncertain product and all our portraits were done in B&W then selectively toned and handcoloured. Looking forward to see how he made the last so many years we lost touch in the late 70,s.

The images , the emulsion stripped of the pics and bonded back to this new product driftwood masonite looking same as when they were made. When we sold out it was nigh on impossible to get previous customers to pick up negs etc so we dispersed a hundred yrs of the city through Historical Societies, it was the first Country town in NSW.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Howard Quick Pic-001.JPG
    Howard Quick Pic-001.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 18

Jim

Grand Master
Was you a photographer up to your retirement Peter ... :thinks:

This will be a nice reunion after all those years, good luck with it ... :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Jim,

Was quick browsing just now in answer I served my apprenticeship as an Electrician, the fifth Aust Tech employed by Rank Xerox manager in Canberra Techs then bought the studio, back to Canberra went to College qualified as a Photographer worked for CSIRO as one at the same time, the organisation closed the Phot Unit down with the advent of changes to cameras/equipment ease of use then computers redundant at 55 yrs then Elect Maintenance for large University retired at 62 1/2. Xerox was a hoot my trade my hobby and Xerography dovetailed for me. In the Studio it was absolutely hectic I was an Alderman most of that era became a practicing Mason visited that large district and councillor on the Regional Electricity Authority, completely swallowed up in 27 executive positions in various varied organisations Pres of Lilac Festival, Eistedford Society, Patron of The Cat Club, Boys Club Director, Chamber of Commerce etc we also had our 6 kids starting to leave home one to Canberra, one to Sydney the third to Hawaii to University she is visiting us now from America where with her family has lived for ten years. I have been in touch with some members of the forum recently endeavoring to share my take on penmaking as I fear interpretations of the way I express myself and read contributions where I do the same misconstrue the words used as we sure use english differently as you know. Still giving the forum the best nudge I know how.

Been blessed over the years we both are age pensioners now for 15 odd yrs reason one for slimlines and streamlines mostly so I can live within our means in downsizing my gear, wood hoard my great fear is I will pass and my dearly beloved will sell for the price I inadvertantly told her I paid for them, her first thought is then to make a parquetry floor with the pen blanks.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).