• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting again

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
In another thread I was asked if it was possible to cast without pressure or ultrasonics so I had a go and this is the result. I thought I might have had one or two small bubbles but certainly wasn't expecting the amount that I got. Pressure for me from now on.

3 blanks for the bin :down:

Attachments

• bubbles1.jpg
    bubbles1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 73
  • bubbles2.jpg
    bubbles2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 73

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The formed after the pour Ray. Initially it didn't look like there were any bubbles at all, I don't know where they came from.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
The formed after the pour Ray. Initially it didn't look like there were any bubbles at all, I don't know where they came from.
That's a bit concerning Paul must say, but I haven't properly read the instructions on the resin so I'll see if it says anything about temperature of the resin etc. It's more critical with polyester resin I think so the same could be true of polyurethane. :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
I have made many a casting using Water Clear Resin without the pressure pot Paul, i have never had this, tiny ones yes .. Surprised me this my friend .. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul dissapointing mate have a yarn with Les in Canada I do believe he does not use vibration his castings are immaculate I believe his preparation thermo controlled bucket he designed and uses an important part of his success bearing in mind he faces the minus degrees where he lives that would prohibit casting for most of us.I have circulated his bucket method from the IAP Library also shown on other forums Les is a great guy tell him I said so we are old mates now.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).