• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vacuum Chuck Question

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Anyone using a vacuum chuck system? Do they work and if so how good are they. Most of all what is the price of one? :thinks:

The Wood Bucket

I am not using one at this time. The highest cost item is the VAC Pump. Here in the USA the pump runs about $100. The rest is easy to find at your local building supply store, to make your own. There are many plans on the internet. The homemade ones I have seen work very good, but as like anything else they have their limitations. Also you can adapt them to fit your needs. I have the pump and have it on my list of things I need to make.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks TWB, i am looking into it in the hope that i can have one working very soon. :thumbs:

The Wood Bucket

Well I finally used the "Hold Fast 3" Vacuum Chuck Kit 1" x 8 TPI system" the other day. I use a 2.5 CFM - Vacuum pump from Harbor Freight Electric Vacuum Pump - 2.5 CFM. It worked very well. Was much easier / quicker to setup then my Cole Jaws. One thing to remember is to have a center point mark on your bowl bottom to use with tail stock to center it up on the vacuum chuck. It was well worth the money to purchase it. I will be using it a lot.

Jim

Grand Master
Hi TWB, good to hear that you have a vacuum set up, are you getting much use from it?:bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
On the same subject, i asked a friend of mine a while ago if he could help with such a project. He has come up trumps with his own concoction that actually works. Well I am saying it works, he has done a little demo with me on an old bowl in the shed that wasn’t finished, anyway when I get around to it I will add some pictures, some good engineering has gone into it. :ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
Well here is the finished Vacuum, i have only tested it running, but not actually done any finished turning with it. On the demo we did the bowl was solid to the flat plate (No picture of this yet) and couldn't budge it. The small gadget fixes onto the handwheel of the headstock.

Will take more pictures of this when i start turning next year ... :thumbs:

Vacuum.jpg

Vacuum_part.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).