• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

casting sheets

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
hi i am looking at starting a new project when my wrist is not broken, but for the mean time i am gathering ideas for other new ones lol.

i was wondering how people go about casting a sheet of acrylic instead of pen blanks, what is the best material to use so the resin doesnt stick and will give me a smooth finish on one side of the sheet i will need around an A4 sheet size and around 5mm thick

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Jim, can you add a casters forum to the board so I can avoid it?
All these dodgy practices and unhealthy goings on is bringing back to many bad memories.
I will not give advise on how to ruin your health and too many of you want to do it.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
hi i am looking at starting a new project when my wrist is not broken, but for the mean time i am gathering ideas for other new ones lol.

i was wondering how people go about casting a sheet of acrylic instead of pen blanks, what is the best material to use so the resin doesnt stick and will give me a smooth finish on one side of the sheet i will need around an A4 sheet size and around 5mm thick

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Wouldn't it be so much easier to buy it ready done? You can buy acrylic sheet from Ebay or other online sellers and B&Q sell it in larger sheets you can cut down :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Really like the captive sheets of paper it is a bummer trying to write one handed holding a phone for example the makeup of the plastic personal choice wish nyou success in the search for the matching set.

Peter.:thumbs:

Tephy

First Name
Steve

A sheet of glass and mask of an A4 size then build up with a non porous material to 5mm spray glass with silicone and pour, mix swirl do whatever once set the sheet will come away from the glass ... simples :winking:

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
A sheet of glass and mask of an A4 size then build up with a non porous material to 5mm spray glass with silicone and pour, mix swirl do whatever once set the sheet will come away from the glass ... simples :winking:

thank you. i got a sheet of glass from an old photo frame which we dont need. ill get some strips of plastic and build up a fence around to the size i want and then tape or bluetack them in place to cast between and easy to break down to remove

ill let you know how i get one but wont be for atleast 4 weeks due to this damm cast on my wrist lol

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Before you pour your resin make sure your glass is level both ways or your resin won't be a uniform thickness as it will find its own level.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Steve

I've not seen anything being cast that thick other than pen blanks, but on the face of it that all you are doing, longer, fatter but thinner pen blanks.
Try this YT video for the masking/dam process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IklECBlZfg

Also, while you are on You Tube, search for Grub 32 who also did a tutorial on the same process.
Great idea by the way, could be a good way to use all the dregs of casting up, leaving you with a multi coloured sheet.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Jim, can you add a casters forum to the board so I can avoid it?
All these dodgy practices and unhealthy goings on is bringing back to many bad memories.
I will not give advise on how to ruin your health and too many of you want to do it.

Jim,

How about something similar to private message update for above.

"WARNING THE FOLLOWING THREAD MAY CONTAIN CASTING NUTS"

Just for Brian..:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).