• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

purple heart

Jim

Grand Master
You can get a good finish on P/H, give it a few coats of friction polish, i tend to give 4 or 5 coats when using this, i apply it with the lathe stopped, then wipe at full speed ... then finish it with a final coating of wax .. :thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Be they the same species there are two variants to Purpleheart, Lowland and Highland. It is possible to have a good guess as the Highland is more dense, the grain is a lot tighter. If you finish the Lowland by sanding and putting a polish directly on it it doesnt work as well as sealing it first with either cellulose sanding sealer or my preferred sealer, EEE cream. Then put the friction on top. If its still not working then sand to 600. Highland is easier to get a finish on and is more dense in colour.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).