• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

And so it begins. .. Hello there!

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Hey there folks, my names Greg and I'm an early thirties IT engineer who's looking for more than just turning ones into zeros and vice versa. That's the easy bit outta the way :)

I've been a fountain pen user since my school days and in recent years have acquired a variety of pens, inks and papers. I'd say my first introduction to a turned pen, that wasn't made by a major manufacturer, was an Edison Pearl via a group buy on the Fountain Pen Network back in 2012. I was highly impressed with the fit and finish. After that I got stuck into looking at the different materials people were using, other people that were making custom pens and a general kernel of interest formed.

A couple of things struck me a few weeks back:

1- There are more materials out there that I'd love a pen made from than I can afford to have others produce.
2- I have some friends getting married early next year and a hand made pen would make an awesome gift. Luckily they have expressed an interest in a nice pen but don't know I'm intending to make one for them.

So I decided to have a chat with my dad who restores vintage and classic bikes as his hobby and has a workshop to support this including a lathe and mill. One conversation turned into another and I was on the receiving end of a lathing lesson on how to make swarf. Turns out I'm not bad at making nothing from something so far!

As it happened he had heard of a friend who'd recently upgrading their wood lathe and who might have their old one knocking around. With a handy conversation between my father and said friend it turned out that his old lathe had already been passed onto his son... but... he'd acquired another one in a package with some chisels that he wasn't expecting and also that his wife wanted it moved outta the shed before they move house next month. Well, what a spot of luck. This then lead to me being the recipient of a wood lathe that, with a bit of spit n polish, has cleaned up ok. I think it's a little large but I ain't going to turn down a freebie like this.

It's a 1986 Elektra HDM 1000 with an odd M20x1.5 thread on the, er, headstock section, so I'm looking into the options for adaptors and chucks to allow me to mount a mandrel. The only option I think I've seen so far is to get a parallel mandrel and a chuck/jaws that will grip it ok. I'll make a post in the relevant section asking for some advice shortly.

Not wanting to stand still I've booked myself on a one day pen making course with Turners Retreat in the UK in a couple of weeks. as it's relatively close to me up here in the North end of the county (Cumbria).

Now to clear a space in the garage to fit the beast and watch even more videos on turning. Let the adventure being, I'm looking forward to this one :)

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 58

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
Welcome to the forum Greg the guys on here are a wealth of knowledge but be aware turning is addictive :thumbs:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Greetings and welcome to the nut house. .. looks like a cracker of a lathe for nout

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Greg - welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour. Enjoy your course at Turners Retreat

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Greg. Any questions you have just ask away and that wedding pen will be knocked up in no time at all. :thumbs:

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Hey there folks, my names Greg and I'm an early thirties IT engineer who's looking for more than just turning ones into zeros and vice versa.

That sounds familiar (although I am verging on mid thirties now)!

Welcome to the madhouse, good luck on making something from something!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome whats his name oh yes Greg you poor poor bugger you as soon as you set foot in here the door was shut tight and locked behind you no escape now you are lost to the dark art of pen turning watch out for the plonkers club they are on the look out for new members there chairman has already got his eye on you beware go away I will take me tablets when I'm ready no not the white jacket again

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).