• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen finish question

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Ok, I've used friction polish and I've used the wax sticks for finishing pens.

My question is: What do you use to finish your pens? Not counting the CA finish. Also when you are doing a finish do you take into account the extended life of the coating or do you do it just for the looks. :thinks:

The Wood Bucket

Well I do like the CA finish for pens the most. I have also used a "Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax /Shellac Woodturning Finish" which I like. The finish is hard and re-polishes easy when needed. The depth of finish is not as good as the CA but it is a good finish.

I look for a finish that will last. I want people to be happy for a long time and send others looking for something my way.

The Wood Bucket

Hi Tony,

When I use the "Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax /Shellac Woodturning Finish" it is all mixed together. I use about three coats, and build up some friction heat to set it hard. What I do is this:
  • Turn item as normal
  • wet sand the wood up through the grits with "Walnut Oil" on the sandpaper
  • Then apply about three coats of the "Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax /Shellac Woodturning Finish" with a little friction between each coat
  • Then after I apply all the coats I will heat up all the coats of finish with friction to harden and polish.

Be careful not to add to much heat as you can burn the "Shellac". It will give you a good hard finish that you can buff up as needed. It does not shine like the CA can, but works very well on bigger items where a CA finish may not work so well. I get the "Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax /Shellac Woodturning Finish" from Home I do not know if he can ship outside the USA. Hope that helps.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks again TWB, i just checked the site and you are correct, they don't ship this product outside the USA. :down: Never mind, i will keep looking. :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
There are quite a number of polishing materials out there Tony, including wax sticks and pastes. Turners Retreat sell the "Shellac" that TWB mentions. But like you i also use friction polish and a wax on all my pens except high end pens, where i use a CA finish .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).