• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Watch parts blank

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi All,
My blank has broke :funny:
I tried the watch parts blank today and made a simple turning error that resulted in the blank breaking up at the one end. MY FAULT :sob:

pic1a.jpg

pic2a.jpg

pic3a.jpg

I know what to avoid next time :thumbs: Lesson learned

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Oh no what a pig how frustrating must that be what did you say when it happened or isn't it printable

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Oh no what a pig how frustrating must that be what did you say when it happened or isn't it printable

I just said ooops. No point being upset, I enjoy turning and look on this as a learning point. I will NOT try and come in from the end again with the 3/8" spindle gouge. Lesson learned. :goesred:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
What a shame Don, that would have been a fantastic pen

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Put the plugs back in and cast it again.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Damn shame that Don, it did look good .. Peter's suggestions sounds good!! It could save some work .. :thumbs:

What did you use to paint the blank Don .. :nooidea:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bugger Don I thought you were very brave leaving the stem in the wheel in the bottom pic it looks as if its shiny there may have caused a hop skip and jump. You sure laid the parts in well up and away again Don. Sad for the work you put in.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Bugger Don I thought you were very brave leaving the stem in the wheel in the bottom pic it looks as if its shiny there may have caused a hop skip and jump. You sure laid the parts in well up and away again Don. Sad for the work you put in.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:
Thanks Peter,
I will keep this on the shelf and make another one. There are a few adjustments I am going to make to the set up anyway.
I have learned a lot so far but I think I am still learning, one thing I did notice, the Zeta could well be a better blank to try this with, in fact I will try and make a couple of Zetas :thinks:

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
I am guessing the casting was to brittle? I also see a few air bubbles on the blank as well.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).